Church To Expand #LightTheWorld Giving Machines To 10 Locations During Christmas Season
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The popular #LightTheWorld campaign is expanding this year to 10 new locations, according to a statement from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The campaign places “Giving Machines”at various locations. These machines accept money that is then used to help support local charities such as EyeCare4Kids, the Utah Food Bank, Neighborhood House and Utah Refugee Connection.
“This year, users can purchase multiple items, if they wish, for people in need with one swipe of a credit card,” according to the Church’s statement. “Items range in price from $2 to $320 and include food, clothing, medicine, hygiene supplies, sporting equipment, and livestock. The items will be supplied through partner charities such as UNICEF, Church World Service, WaterAid, Water For People, and International Medical Corps.”
New machines will be added throughout November and December in Manila, Philippines; Las Vegas; Gilbert, Arizona; Laie and Oahu, Hawaii; Salt Lake City; Orem; Denver; San Jose, California; New York City; and London.
“These Giving Machines are an example of the big things that can happen when many people give just a little,” said Sister Bonnie H. Cordon, Young Women general president. “That is what it means to Light the World one by one – when we each give what we can offer, our little light adds to a brightness of hope.”
Last year, the machines raised $2.3 million for local and global charities, the Church said. The #LightTheWorld giving machines will be available through the Christmas season, and 100% of all donations will go directly to partner charities. All administrative costs for the campaign and costs associated with its nonprofit partners are covered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7943)
- Attempted kidnapping near Utah junior high has school, police warning parents (pageviews: 6897)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5569)
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting (pageviews: 4499)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3945)
- Police: Suspect shot, hospitalized after exchanging gunfire with Orem officers (pageviews: 3255)