High 5: Rapping Teacher Engages Kids In Learning
BLUFFDALE, Utah – Jaime Mayhew’s class is unlike any KSL TV’s Shara Park has ever visited.
It’s easy to see why her kids not only love her, but also love to learn.
At Summit Academy Independence in Bluffdale, a certain third-grade class is unique. It’s loud, it’s confident, it’s engaging, and it’s all thanks to a teacher. She’s passionate about her students.
“There is so much more to being a teacher,” she said. “There is the aspect of being a kid and realizing who you are as a person.
Building confidence is a top priority for Miss Mayhew. She’s helping even the shiest students find their voices.
In her classroom, the kids decide where they learn best. For some, it’s at a desk. For others, it’s tucked between coats hanging on the coat rack.
“I always tell kids if they can focus good by sitting criss-cross-applesauce, go sit on the floor,” Mayhew said. “Personally, for me, I’m a mover. I like to stand and work on my writing.”
She is constantly incorporating music and rhymes into her teaching. As a result, her students are excelling.
“I just noticed the more music I incorporate, the more the kids remember things,” Mayhew said. “They remember a lot easier.”
However, it’s not just in the class curriculum. There’s also been a positive shift in behavior.
“What I’m impressed with the most is the students,” said Assistant Principal Dustin Evenson. “We rarely have a behavior problem because the kids are so engaged. So the kids enjoy the learning and stay in the classroom.”
Miss Mayhew’s class call themselves a “class family.”
“We unite as friends and classmates,” one student said. “We’re always kind to each other.”
KSL TV was so impressed with Miss Mayhew that we asked our friends at America First Credit Union to help us surprise her. They surprised her with $500.
“We are so grateful at America First for what you give back,” said Aaron Goodrich with America First Credit Union. “We want to give back to you today.”
Our “thank you” was fun, but it’s the way these students talk about Miss Mayhew that captured our hearts.
“She helps us never give up,” said one child.
“She’s very kind and inspirational,” said another.
“I would love to tell her that I think she should stay a teacher forever, and she’s the best,” added another.
- Lori Vallow's Neighbors Share Footage Showing Child Behaving Erratically Before Disappearance (pageviews: 16902)
- Lori Vallow's Neighbors Share Footage Of Missing Children (pageviews: 10948)
- Lori Vallow's Neighbors Share Footage Showing Child Behaving Erratically Before Disappearance (pageviews: 6159)
- Five Utah Police Agencies Looking For Purse Snatchers (pageviews: 3234)
- Civil Filing Alleges Lori Vallow's Niece Knows Where Missing Children Are (pageviews: 3143)
- Local Body Shop Creates One-Of-A-Kind Casket For Police Dog Hondo (pageviews: 2873)
- Utah Couple's Dream Italian Vacation Canceled After Coronavirus Cases Spike (pageviews: 2719)
- 5-Year-Old Killed In Millcreek Auto-Pedestrian Crash (pageviews: 2663)
- 5-Year-Old Boy Killed In Millcreek Auto-Pedestrian Crash (pageviews: 2527)