K9 Bites Suspect Accused Of Choking Woman, Assaulting Police
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Authorities arrested a man Thursday after he reportedly choked a woman to unconsciousness before assaulting the officers who tried to take him into custody.
Salt Lake City Police received at a call at approximately 4 a.m. The caller said a woman was screaming in the hallway of an apartment located near 800 North and 900 West. The victim was reportedly heard yelling that a man was trying to kill her.
SLCPD Lt. Dave Cracroft said the woman had been assaulted by her boyfriend, who choked her until she was unconscious before fleeing the scene.
Officers deployed a K9 to help find the suspect, and they later located him hiding in the back of a pickup truck that did not belong to him. Cracroft said when authorities tried to take the man into custody, he fought back and assaulted four officers. The K9 then bit the suspect, but the man continued fighting.
Police had were able to get the man into a wrap restraint, Cracroft said, and it took “a few minutes to get him into custody.”
Some officers sustained scrapes, and there was some blood exposure problems, authorities said. Otherwise, none of them were seriously harmed.
Both the suspect and the victim were transported to local hospitals. After the suspect has been treated, he’ll be booked into jail, Cracroft said.
The suspect reportedly had felony warrants for his arrest and is now facing charges of aggravated assault against the victim, fleeing from police, resisting arrest, and assaulting an officer.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9267)
- Farmington man recovering after falling 40 feet off a highway overpass (pageviews: 8058)
- Woman killed, boyfriend arrested after SLC apartment complex shooting (pageviews: 6022)
- Trail runner hurt by cougar in Millcreek Canyon; DWR locates, euthanizes animal (pageviews: 3183)
- One person dead after shooting at Salt Lake City apartment complex (pageviews: 2423)