North American Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints Missionaries Transferred From Bolivia Mission
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — Some missionaries of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints serving in the Bolivia Cochabamba Mission are being transferred due to growing political unrest in the area, according to Church spokesman Daniel Woodruff.
All 63 of the transferred missionaries are from North America and most have been reassigned to other missions. A few who were near the end of their missions will return home.
Woodruff said all other missionaries serving in Bolivia will remain where they are but Church officials are monitoring developments in the South American country.
“The Church is in the process of transferring 63 missionaries from the Bolivia Cochabamba Mission. This is due to growing political unrest as well as the U.S. government’s recent decision to pull non-emergency workers from that country,” Woodruff said. “The missionaries — who are all from North America — are being temporarily reassigned to other missions. A few who are nearing the end of their missions will return home.
“At this point, in coordination with security professionals, all other missionaries throughout Bolivia are remaining where they are and will continue with limited missionary work in those areas where it is safe to do so. The safety of our missionaries is our highest priority, and we will continue to carefully monitor developments in Bolivia and make further adjustments and decisions as circumstances require. We pray for the people in Bolivia as they navigate this difficult time in their country.”
- Hunter High shooter gets juvenile detention for killing 2 students; case now closed (pageviews: 8768)
- Get Gephardt: Husband sued for deceased wife’s unpaid medical bill - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6320)
- Judge calls Orem mayor 'lynchpin' in fraud case, orders him and son to pay $1M (pageviews: 5012)
- NB I-15 reopens following crash, massive oil spill in Draper - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4958)
- NB I-15 closed in Draper following multi-car crash, oil spill (pageviews: 4861)
- Man arrested for breaking into Provo temple, claiming he was just cold, police say (pageviews: 4639)