Plane Hits Billboard, Crashes Near Southbound Lanes of I-15 in Roy
ROY, Utah – Investigators are looking into what caused a plane to hit a billboard and crash on the side of I-15 in Weber County.
Roy police say the single-engine plane had just taken off from the Ogden-Hinckley Airport around 3 p.m. Sunday. About a half a mile away, the plane struck a Chick-fil-A billboard and crashed near 4500 South.
Two men were in the plane. They were both rushed to the hospital in critical condition.
A bystander, who helped at the scene, was also taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.
A lot of people witnessed the crash and many of them hurried to help before first responders got there.
Scott Miller lives right near the scene and was inside his home when he heard the plane hit the billboard.
“It’s not the first time I heard an airplane crash and I ran out, hopped the fence pretty dang quick and I was about the second or third person on scene,” said Miller.
Miller was relieved to discover both men inside were alive but says they were pretty banged up.
And they weren’t out of danger quite yet. Part of the plane was still on fire.
“My wife went and grabbed two fire extinguishers and we were able to put out the fire,” said Miller. “This is an unfortunate situation and just glad these guys are going to be just fine.”
Investigators with the Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board were on scene for much of the day trying to figure out what caused the plane to crash.
Roy police say preliminary information shows that the plane was a flight school airplane but authorities will continue to investigate the cause.
- Young Mother Killed In Head-On Crash In Kane County (pageviews: 9027)
- Pizza Delivery Driver Gets Surprise Tip, Becomes 'TikTok Famous' (pageviews: 7956)
- Herriman, Riverton Residents Help Give Back To Artist Alex Boyé (pageviews: 6649)
- Joe Montana, Wife Block Attempted Kidnapping Of Grandchild (pageviews: 4379)
- 2 Die In Single-Vehicle Crash In Tooele County (pageviews: 3507)
- Police Seek Public's Help Locating Missing Endangered Boy Out Of Millcreek (pageviews: 3031)
- Cache Valley Teen Lucky To Find Cell Signal After Rattlesnake Bite (pageviews: 2690)
- Utah Reports 1,068 New COVID-19 Cases, 5 New Deaths (pageviews: 1257)
- Structures Threatened By Fire Located South Of Veyo (pageviews: 1062)