OREM, Utah — Construction has begun on a 1,000-foot bridge that will span Interstate 15 to connect the campus of Utah Valley University with housing and a Utah Transit Authority FrontRunner station.
UVU officials said the joint project between UVU, UTA and the Utah Department of Transportation will help students who commute to the university and alleviate traffic on nearby roads.
“This bridge is a symbol of UVU’s commitment to sustainability, clean air, and reducing traffic,” said UVU President Astrid Tuminez. “We are grateful to the Utah Department of Transportation and the Utah Transit Authority for their vision, resources, and support of this project.”
The bridge will include a 15-foot wide walkway with heating elements for snow removal. Officials said the partially-enclosed walkway will have high-capacity elevators and stairs at each end and will have enough space for pedestrians and cyclists.
So far, just over $30 million has been contributed for the project — $4 million from UTA, $6 million from UVU and $20.7 million from UDOT.
I-15 will close for brief periods at night when crews place beams and set concrete. UDOT officials will give two-week advance notices before the closures.
Ground was broken on the bridge last fall with an original completion date of August 2020 — the latest report from UVU officials said the bridge is now scheduled to be completed in November 2020.
This is what a nearly 1,100-ft. bridge looks like from above. The @UVU pedestrian bridge will be disassembled and placed at the @orem work site and I-15 in May. Expect nighttime freeway and road closures to set the bridge girders in place. @RideUTA @UtahDOT pic.twitter.com/1NVqEQXhj1
— UDOT Region Three (@UDOTRegionthree) April 10, 2020
- Woman, Children Terrorized In Road Rage Incident On I-15 (pageviews: 18183)
- One Killed In Motorcycle Crash Up Big Cottonwood Canyon (pageviews: 11001)
- Customer Threatens To Shoot Up Salt Lake City Store Over Mask Requirement (pageviews: 8508)
- 37 Juveniles Arrested At Corner Canyon High School (pageviews: 5475)
- One Killed In Motorcycle Crash Up Big Cottonwood Canyon – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3933)
- Two Deputies Injured, Suspect Killed In Shooting At Salt Lake County Jail (pageviews: 3870)
- Las Vegas Pushes To Become First To Ban Ornamental Grass (pageviews: 3696)
- If You're 50 Or Older: 5 Things To Know After Getting COVID-19 Vaccine (pageviews: 3024)
- Are Californians To Blame For Utah’s Surging Home Prices? (pageviews: 2401)