OREM, Utah — Construction has begun on a 1,000-foot bridge that will span Interstate 15 to connect the campus of Utah Valley University with housing and a Utah Transit Authority FrontRunner station.
UVU officials said the joint project between UVU, UTA and the Utah Department of Transportation will help students who commute to the university and alleviate traffic on nearby roads.
“This bridge is a symbol of UVU’s commitment to sustainability, clean air, and reducing traffic,” said UVU President Astrid Tuminez. “We are grateful to the Utah Department of Transportation and the Utah Transit Authority for their vision, resources, and support of this project.”
The bridge will include a 15-foot wide walkway with heating elements for snow removal. Officials said the partially-enclosed walkway will have high-capacity elevators and stairs at each end and will have enough space for pedestrians and cyclists.
So far, just over $30 million has been contributed for the project — $4 million from UTA, $6 million from UVU and $20.7 million from UDOT.
I-15 will close for brief periods at night when crews place beams and set concrete. UDOT officials will give two-week advance notices before the closures.
Ground was broken on the bridge last fall with an original completion date of August 2020 — the latest report from UVU officials said the bridge is now scheduled to be completed in November 2020.
- Returning Missionary Tests Positive For Coronavirus, Infects Family (pageviews: 64357)
- New Projection Shows Fewer Potential COVID-19 Deaths In Utah (pageviews: 15314)
- US Coronavirus Fight Enters Crucial Weeks After Reaching Grim Milestone (pageviews: 12307)
- COVID-19 Model Shows Improvement In Projected Utah Deaths (pageviews: 9396)
- Earthquake Tracker - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9396)
- Five New Virus-Related Deaths Reported In Utah; 1,675 Confirmed Cases (pageviews: 4242)
- Renderings Released For Temples In Tooele, Washington County, Washington State (pageviews: 4209)
- Utah House Democrats Urge Governor To Issue Stay-At-Home Order (pageviews: 4151)
- The Pink Moon Will Be The Biggest And Brightest Of 2020 (pageviews: 3521)