Utah Couple: Unknown Person Drained Credit Union Account Via Drive-Thru
SANDY, Utah — A Utah couple said their credit union account was completely drained without their knowledge and they were completely stunned by how it happened.
Randy and Ashlyn Scadden of Roy said they learned early Wednesday morning their $4,000 was gone, as was a $500 overdraft.
“I was in Denver yesterday for work, woke up at like 3 a.m. just like everybody does, and just looked through our bank account to go through and pay some bills, pay off the credit card bill, and lo and behold, there’s absolutely no money in the account,” Scadden said.
Ashlyn Scadden said she subsequently learned from Mountain America Credit Union that somebody had made a cash withdrawal from the drive-thru at a branch located at 1284 East 10600 South in Sandy, nearly 50 miles from their home.
“The driver’s license number was two digits off of — I don’t know which direction — her mom’s actual ID,” Randy Scadden said.
Ashley Scadden said her mother’s name had been on the account since she was a teenager.
“We physically saw the receipt and it was not my mother’s signature, it wasn’t mine,” she said. “We don’t know who it was.”
Randy Scadden added that the signature just appeared like a scribble.
“There’s different things in my mind that should have tripped the system,” he said.
MACU Vice President Tony Rasmussen said security and member privacy are top priorities, and the credit union was investigating the incident, as was the Sandy Police Department, according to Lieutenant Cory Hess on Thursday.
No surveillance images of the person who made the withdrawal had been made public as of Thursday night.
Rasmussen said when fraud is confirmed, MACU members are not held liable.
The couple said their balance had been restored by the credit union as of Thursday afternoon and they were grateful for that.
They cautioned all families to keep a close eye on their personal information.
“Watch your finances,” Randy Scadden said. “It could be incredibly detrimental to the vast majority of people out there.”
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10137)
- Farmington man recovering after falling 40 feet off a highway overpass (pageviews: 9660)
- Woman killed, boyfriend arrested after SLC apartment complex shooting (pageviews: 6421)
- 2 killed in separate Utah Co. crashes; 1 injured after hitting school bus in Clearfield (pageviews: 6158)
- Trail runner hurt by cougar in Millcreek Canyon; DWR locates, euthanizes animal (pageviews: 3625)
- A Spanish Fork high school homecoming dress code causes tension between students and faculty – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3418)