Utah Man Charged After Allegedly Shooting Boy While Target Shooting
MANTI, Utah – A man accused of hitting a 9-year-old boy with a stray bullet while target shooting is now facing criminal charges related to the incident.
The bullet hit the boy in the shoulder on Nov. 23 while he was in the back seat of an SUV that was traveling along U.S. Highway 89 north of Mount Pleasant in Sanpete County.
The boy survived the incident.
Sanpete County Attorney Kevin Daniels said Camryn Summerhays, who was shooting with his wife and 8-year-old son, did not intend to hit someone but was negligent in his target practice.
Summerhays was charged with felony discharge of a firearm and two counts of reckless endangerment on Friday.
“They were target shooting in a negligent manner meaning there was not a significant backstop or area to where the bullets could safely end up. He was also shooting towards a major thoroughfare which is Highway 89,” Daniels told KSL.
Daniels said this shooting could have been deadly.
“The young man is lucky, his family is lucky, and those that were negligently shooting were lucky,” Daniels said.
The family did not want to talk to KSL about what happened but Daniels said they do want justice.
“They would like to see the individuals involved accept responsibility for what they did and any consequences that may follow,” he said.
- Man Dies After Being Ejected From Truck During Rollover Crash In Bluffdale (pageviews: 5048)
- Convicted Kearns Sex Offender Charged With Human Trafficking (pageviews: 5047)
- CDC: Schools Should Have Plan For Angry Parents, Face Mask Bullying (pageviews: 4785)
- Gephardt: 'Brushing' Scams Sweeping Utah (pageviews: 4552)
- AMC Is Reopening Its Theaters Next Week - And Tickets Are 15 Cents (pageviews: 4266)
- Alpine School District Teachers Rally For Safety Days Before Start Of School Year (pageviews: 4175)
- Authorities Identify Woman Found Deceased In Submerged Car Near Logan (pageviews: 3456)
- Gephardt: How A Side Hustle Became A Full-time Gig For Utah Adventurers (pageviews: 3228)
- Herriman To Host Nation's First High School Football Game (pageviews: 2539)