Romney Joins GOP Senators On Bill Imposing Sanctions On Drug Cartels
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) is part of a group of Republican senators who have introduced a bill imposing sanctions on drug cartels.
Romney has joined Sens. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.), Johnb Cornyn (R-Texas), Ted Cruz (R-Texas), Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), Josh Hawley (R. Mo.), David Perdue (R-Ga.), and Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) on the Significant Transnational Criminal Organization Designation Act, according to a statement from Romney’s office.
The legislation would subject certain foreign criminal organizations — such as drug cartels in Mexico — to sanctions that include immigration, financial and criminal penalties, according to the statement.
“By providing a new tool to designate significant transnational criminal organizations (TCOs), subject them to financial and criminal penalties, and bar their members from the United States, this legislation will better equip us to meet the threats our nation faces from violent cartels and other foreign criminal networks,” Romney said. “Our legislation also requires the president to submit a full report to Congress regarding the horrific attacks against Americans in Mexico last month, including whether the organization responsible should be designated as a Significant Transnational Criminal Organization and sanctioned under our legislation.”
Graham said that Mexican cartels are a “national security and law enforcement threat,” and Cruz stated that “Americans regularly face the consequences of an unsecured southern border.”
The act would enable the federal government to bar organization members and their immediate family members from entering the United States. It would also allow the government to freeze assets and seek criminal and civil criminal penalties against individuals providing assistance or resources to the organizations, according to Romney’s statement.
- High winds, heavy snow warning for ‘hazardous conditions’ Friday morning - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 17145)
- SB I-15 reopens in Layton following police chase, shooting (pageviews: 9231)
- SB I-15 closed in Layton following police chase, shooting (pageviews: 6159)
- High winds, heavy snow warning for 'hazardous conditions' Friday morning (pageviews: 5239)
- Witness recounts 'miraculous' Moab rescue after BASE jumper crashes into cliff (pageviews: 4464)
- SB I-15 reopens in Layton following police chase, shooting - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4141)