Pest Control Canister Triggers Apartment Building Evacuation
Dec 22, 2019, 9:35 PM | Updated: 10:33 pm
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – A hazmat situation forced the evacuation of dozens of people at a senior living apartment complex.
It happened Sunday afternoon at the Rendon Terrace Apartments at 158 N. 600 W.
Authorities say a resident accidentally triggered a pest control canister, releasing chemicals into the building.
Two residents experiencing respiratory problems were taken to the hospital, along with two firefighters.
“They were in close proximity to the fogger and they were helping to evacuate some of the individuals in the structure,” said Cpt. Tony Stowe.
“My dad lives on the third flood,” said Chris Bowman. “The alarm started going off and right away he said ‘this happens all the time.”
Many residents were confused, but then word got around that it was a hazmat situation.
“The neighbor across the hallway came over and said there’s a chemical leak, we need to get out,” said Bowman.
Fire crews say the pesticide was released on the second floor, but it forced the evacuation of the entire building.
About 20 residents were loaded onto a UTA bus to be taken to an evacuation center, but then the bus got stuck trying to leave the parking lot.
Despite the hiccup, firefighters got the building cleared safely.
Authorities say everyone who was taken to the hospital is expected to be okay. The evacuation order was lifted around 8 p.m.