DUI Suspected In North Temple Crash That Hospitalized Three, Police Say
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Officials with the Salt Lake City Police Department said they suspect the driver of a Tesla that was involved in a two-car crash was driving under the influence.
Sgt. Keith Horrocks confirmed police are continuing to investigate the crash, which happened Sunday morning at 900 West North Temple.
Police said the Tesla was traveling at a high rate of speed and ran a red light before hitting another sedan.
Witness told police the Tesla’s battery exploded and a hazmat crew was called to the scene. Flames were visible at the site of the crash and wreckage from both vehicles was scattered across North Temple and 900 West.
Two men were occupying the Tesla while a woman was driving the other vehicle. All three were hospitalized with critical injuries and Horrocks said they were in serious but stable condition on Monday.
Police said the Tesla’s driver, 35-year-old Joseph Lucero, could face charges of driving under the influence.
KSL 5 TV Live
- First temple in Virginia opens its doors to the public (pageviews: 15140)
- Utah man bit by shark while swimming in Hawaii (pageviews: 14902)
- Man in custody, accused of filming children in the bathroom of his business (pageviews: 14198)
- Important dates, rendering released for 3 Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint temples (pageviews: 9037)
- Utah will likely set historic snow record Friday (pageviews: 8110)
- 3 killed in head-on crash in Kane County (pageviews: 6625)