Storage Units, Multiple Vehicles Destroyed In Orem Fire
OREM, Utah – Ten small storage units and four vehicles were complete losses after a fire broke out at an Orem apartment complex.
Crews with the Orem Fire Department responded to the single-alarm fire Monday evening and said the building suffered some damage from the flames.
Residents said the fire caught everyone by surprise.
“It just (happened) immediately,” said Ty Smith.
The Smith family couldn’t help but be on edge, especially after their daughter got out just in time with her kids. Many of her belongings were destroyed in the fire.
“This car is hers,” Smith said. “And then all of the storage was her memories…her cheer outfit from high school, her pictures from the time she was a little girl — she’s hysterical.”
The storage units were detached from the apartment building and were located just in front of a covered parking section.
Smoke was visible from University Parkway and Main Street when the fire initially broke out.
LIVE: Crews are responding to a fire in Orem south of University Parkway near State Street.
Posted by KSL 5 TV on Monday, January 13, 2020
Firefighters said the cause for the blaze is under investigation and fears were already spreading through the neighborhood that this was part of something sinister.
“While this was being fought, there was a flare, from what the fireman said, that had been tossed in another car,” Smith said.
KSL asked firefighters away from the scene about what we heard from neighbors about the apparent flare – they said they couldn’t confirm it and reiterated that the cause was under investigation.
Single Alarm Fire in Orem. 4 Cars destroyed 10 small storage units. Building suffered damage from flame impingement, but units were able I'm get knockdown before it became involved. pic.twitter.com/rxDNqBzI4j
— Orem Fire Dept. (@OremFire) January 14, 2020
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7131)
- ‘They’re all in imminent danger’: Video shows violence after Utah prison allowed gangs to mingle (pageviews: 6690)
- KSL TV’s Mike Headrick explains why he’s been off air – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5439)
- Hiker with flip-flops grateful to be alive after fall at Bridal Veil Falls – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5264)
- Church announces sites for two US temples – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4969)
- World record for longest long-range rifle shot broken Tuesday – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4496)