Alta High Students Could Face Charges After Fight
SANDY, Utah – An Alta High School student was hospitalized in serious condition following a fight in a school locker room, according to officials with the Canyons School District and Sandy City Police Department.
School officials said the incident happened on Wednesday and involved two male student-athletes. Both police and district officials said they are investigating the incident and those involved could face criminal charges.
Alta High School was quiet with school not in session on Friday. However, just two days earlier, a fight witnessed by several students broke out.
“We do understand that tempers can flare around athletic activity but still there is an expectation of behavior,” said Jeff Haney, Canyons School District spokesperson.
According to a student witness who wished to remain anonymous, there was a verbal confrontation before things got violent.
“As far as altercations that take place at schools, they do happen but usually not to this degree,” said Sergeant Jason Nielsen with the Sandy Police Department.
The male student was transported to the hospital in serious condition, where he remained Friday evening.
The witness told KSL multiple students were present and cellphone video was taken of the incident and officials are conducting an investigation.
Haney said it’s possible no adults were nearby when it happened.
“There may be times when students are left unsupervised for very small moments of time,” he said.
No arrests had been made as of Friday evening and the juveniles involved were not named.
“Obviously, physical altercations aren’t the way to go,” Nielsen said. “If somebody gets hurt, it’s a no-win situation for both sides.”
Canyons School District officials declined to comment on any disciplinary action. However, they said incidents of this nature can result in suspension or expulsion for involved students.
- Utah Mother Of Four Killed In Sanpete County Rollover Crash, Father Hospitalized (pageviews: 9548)
- FCC Receives More Than 1,300 Complaints About Super Bowl Halftime Show (pageviews: 6137)
- Mom Of Missing Tennessee Toddler Arrested, Says She Can't Take Polygraph Due To Pregnancy (pageviews: 4381)
- Taylor Swift Takes Aim At Double Standards In 'The Man' Music Video (pageviews: 4149)
- Got A Beard? The CDC Says It Will Make Coronavirus Prevention Difficult (pageviews: 3833)
- Disney CEO Bob Iger Steps Down In Surprise Announcement (pageviews: 3113)
- How Parents Can Prepare Your Home, Children Against Coronavirus (pageviews: 3060)
- What is COVID-19? Here's What You Need To Know To Stay Healthy (pageviews: 2475)
- Coronavirus Shutdowns Hurting Springville Game Business (pageviews: 2258)