Alta High Students Could Face Charges After Fight
SANDY, Utah – An Alta High School student was hospitalized in serious condition following a fight in a school locker room, according to officials with the Canyons School District and Sandy City Police Department.
School officials said the incident happened on Wednesday and involved two male student-athletes. Both police and district officials said they are investigating the incident and those involved could face criminal charges.
Alta High School was quiet with school not in session on Friday. However, just two days earlier, a fight witnessed by several students broke out.
“We do understand that tempers can flare around athletic activity but still there is an expectation of behavior,” said Jeff Haney, Canyons School District spokesperson.
According to a student witness who wished to remain anonymous, there was a verbal confrontation before things got violent.
“As far as altercations that take place at schools, they do happen but usually not to this degree,” said Sergeant Jason Nielsen with the Sandy Police Department.
The male student was transported to the hospital in serious condition, where he remained Friday evening.
The witness told KSL multiple students were present and cellphone video was taken of the incident and officials are conducting an investigation.
Haney said it’s possible no adults were nearby when it happened.
“There may be times when students are left unsupervised for very small moments of time,” he said.
No arrests had been made as of Friday evening and the juveniles involved were not named.
“Obviously, physical altercations aren’t the way to go,” Nielsen said. “If somebody gets hurt, it’s a no-win situation for both sides.”
Canyons School District officials declined to comment on any disciplinary action. However, they said incidents of this nature can result in suspension or expulsion for involved students.
- Utah police ask for help locating suspect in Amazon robbery (pageviews: 3523)
- Real Housewives of SLC Jennie Nguyen no longer cast member after 'offensive' social media posts (pageviews: 3509)
- Body found in Jordan River, police investigating (pageviews: 3503)
- 3x Region Champs, North Sanpete drill coaches go viral in video (pageviews: 3387)
- Wednesday's Child: Creative 13-year-old Kaydee hopes to find forever family (pageviews: 2864)
- Sewage provides alternative insight into COVID-19 surge direction (pageviews: 2841)