Organizers Submit Signatures For Referendum On Tax Reform
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – As the deadline passed to turn in voter signatures, organizers said they believed they easily had the numbers to put a referendum on the November ballot to repeal tax reform legislation.
“I’d actually like to tell you that 152,000 is pretty low,” Fred Cox told reporters at a news conference.
State elections officials said just under 116,000 verified signatures were required, and those numbers had to reach representative thresholds in at least 15 of 29 counties.
Cox, a former state lawmaker, said he believed the referendum effort would likely succeed in at least 18 and possibly as many as 26 counties.
More than 58,000 signatures had already been verified as of end-of-business Tuesday, according to officials.
Utah state elections director Justin Lee said county clerks had until February 4 to verify the signatures that were submitted, and voters have a 45 day window from when their signatures were verified to potentially remove them if so desired.
“So really, mid-March we’ll know whether this is valid or not,” Lee said. “If everything turns out that they’ve got the numbers they need, then we declare the referendum sufficient and it is placed on the November ballot.”
The legislation in question can be found at le.utah.gov.
- Utah Mother Of Four Killed In Sanpete County Rollover Crash, Father Hospitalized (pageviews: 9548)
- FCC Receives More Than 1,300 Complaints About Super Bowl Halftime Show (pageviews: 6137)
- Mom Of Missing Tennessee Toddler Arrested, Says She Can't Take Polygraph Due To Pregnancy (pageviews: 4381)
- Taylor Swift Takes Aim At Double Standards In 'The Man' Music Video (pageviews: 4149)
- Got A Beard? The CDC Says It Will Make Coronavirus Prevention Difficult (pageviews: 3833)
- Disney CEO Bob Iger Steps Down In Surprise Announcement (pageviews: 3113)
- How Parents Can Prepare Your Home, Children Against Coronavirus (pageviews: 3060)
- What is COVID-19? Here's What You Need To Know To Stay Healthy (pageviews: 2475)
- Coronavirus Shutdowns Hurting Springville Game Business (pageviews: 2258)