Suspected Flu-Related Deaths Of Two Riverdale Students Under Investigation
RIVERDALE, Utah – Officials with the Weber-Morgan Health Department said the deaths of two northern Utah students are under investigation as suspected flu-associated deaths.
Weber-Morgan Health Department public information officer Lori Buttars confirmed the investigation Saturday night.
Officials said both students tested positive for influenza, but the strains did not match.
“We are extremely saddened for the families and friends of these young individuals,” said Amy Carter, epidemiologist with the Weber-Morgan Health Department. “While the health department has verified that each student tested positive for influenza, they were not matching strains of the virus. As our investigation is ongoing and to protect the families’ privacy we are unable to provide additional details.”
Weber-Morgan Health Department officials are investigating along with the Utah Department of Health and school officials.
Influenza activity was high across the state, according to UDOH’s weekly influenza report for Jan. 12-18.
Just over 400 influenza-associated hospitalizations had been reported in Utah.
Health officials said the best way to prevent influenza is by getting a flu vaccine each year. Utahns should also take preventative steps to stop the spread of germs by washing their hands, covering coughs and staying home from school or work when sick.
- Lori Vallow's Neighbors Share Footage Of Missing Children (pageviews: 18550)
- Lori Vallow's Neighbors Share Footage Showing Child Behaving Erratically Before Disappearance (pageviews: 7910)
- Former Mission Companion Of Chad Daybell In Disbelief After Developments (pageviews: 6582)
- Lori Vallow's Neighbors Share Footage Showing Child Behaving Erratically Before Disappearance (pageviews: 6158)
- Mike Rowe Makes Online Plea To Help West Jordan Toymaker (pageviews: 3718)
- Dirty Dining? KSL Investigators Look Into Popular Salt Lake Restaurant Rankings (pageviews: 3224)
- Police: Body Found In Pipe Near Target In Salt Lake City 'Suspicious' (pageviews: 3083)
- Police Confirm No Escapees After Reported Nevada Prison Camp Riot (pageviews: 2948)
- Mother Of Missing Idaho Children Arrested In Hawaii (pageviews: 2669)