5-Year-Old Fights For Her Life After Flu Complications
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — It started as a simple cough but quickly turned into a life-threatening situation. Five-year-old Sunny Gonzales told her mom she could not breath on Monday.
“I knew that something was wrong with her with the way she was breathing,” Karita Gonzalez, Sunny’s mother said. “I could feel her heart just pumping out of her chest and I knew I needed to act on that.”
Gonzales took her daughter to InstaCare where doctors evaluated the situation and made the call to rush her to Primary Children’s Hospital.
When she arrived at PCH, Sunny’s oxygen levels were dangerously low. Doctors the tried breathing treatments but soon decided to sedate and intubate her. Sunny’s health took a turn for the worst on that night and her vitals crashed.
“It was the hardest moment of my life, and I hope to never experience that again,” Gonzales said.
Doctors stabilized Sunny who is now recovering in ICU and being treated for complications from the flu including respiratory issues, pneumonia and a possible bacterial infection.
“We knew this was not going to be days this was going to be weeks of recovery,” Joseph Gonzalez, Sunny‘s father said.
The family said they all took precautions in the fall by getting flu shots and flu mists.
They are hopeful Sunny’s recovery will be a successful one.
“We’re positive because of the messages that the doctors are telling us,” Gonzales said. “They’ve taken great care of us and today was the first day they said she’s getting better.”
They family’s message for other parents is not to wait and to treat your children as soon as symptoms show up.
“Don’t take life for granted and don’t take your kiddos for granted either,” Gonzales said. “Love them always you never know. It changes in an instant.”
- High winds, heavy snow warning for ‘hazardous conditions’ Friday morning - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 36760)
- Body in Provo identified as jogger killed in hit-and-run (pageviews: 18142)
- High winds, heavy snow warning for 'hazardous conditions' Friday morning (pageviews: 7530)
- Newly built homes deemed unlivable due to sliding soil (pageviews: 6148)
- SB I-15 reopens in Layton following police chase, shooting (pageviews: 5835)
- Lehi mom stranded in snowstorm grateful for help from unexpected stranger - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5830)
- Winter storm leads to messy morning commute; schools moving online, delaying starts - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5795)