Suspects Arrested After SUV Breaches Security At Mar-a-Lago
(CNN) — An SUV breached security checkpoints heading toward the main entrance of President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago retreat in Florida on Friday, and officials shot at the vehicle, the Palm Beach Sheriff’s Office said.
The vehicle fled and was pursued by authorities, and two people are now in custody, the sheriff’s office said.
The Secret Service did not immediately comment on the situation and CNN has reached out to the White House. The Palm Beach Sheriff’s Office, Secret Service and Florida Highway Patrol are expected to address the media at a press conference at 3 p.m. ET.
A person currently inside Mar-a-Lago said Secret Service agents instructed guests and staff to remain inside around 12:15 p.m. ET, describing an ongoing “situation” outside the club. Staff and guests were told they would be unable to come and go, and some were told it could be hours longer before they can leave.
Guests are currently waiting around for more information.
The person described the scene as calm and organized. Inside the main part of the club, guests could not hear shots from outside, and only learned from agents on the scene that something was happening.
Agents had been in place since earlier Friday because of Trump’s scheduled arrival later in the day.
The “lockdown” remains in place at 12:53 p.m. ET, according to this person.
The President and first lady Melania Trump are scheduled to arrive at Mar-a-Lago Friday evening and stay through the weekend.
The President frequently stays at the property on weekends. The property is heavily monitored by Secret Service when the President is staying there.
At least three people have breached security to enter the resort in a just over a year.
- Family members remember, honor two USU plane crash victims (pageviews: 7173)
- UPDATE: Ogden teen found by family (pageviews: 6659)
- 48 migrants die after trailer abandoned in Texas heat (pageviews: 6371)
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays (pageviews: 6316)
- R. Kelly sentenced to 30 years in sex trafficking case (pageviews: 6069)
- Why this mom’s abortion decision challenged her family’s religious beliefs (pageviews: 4164)