Up Close: West Jordan Girl Sings Her Way Into National Spotlight
WEST JORDAN, Utah – An eight-year-old girl from West Jordan has won an incredible award. She became the Grand Champion Vocalist of the year in the 25th annual Mariachi Vargas Extravaganza in San Antonio, Texas.
Kaylee Bucio was the youngest competitor in the contest, beating out high school and college-aged kids, but that’s not how she looks at it.
“It feels good, but the people that sing… they are champions too, because they sing. They tried, so they are winners, too,” said Kaylee.
As a result of becoming Grand Champion, Kaylee has signed a one-year contract, and will now represent the Mariachi Vargas Extravaganza in performances across the country.
All you have to do is hear young Kaylee Bucio sing, and you quickly understand why she was chosen.
“That’s what’s amazing about her, she doesn’t flaunt her talent, but she is so humble about it,” said Lauren Zaugg, Kaylee’s 3rd grade teacher at Riverside Elementary School in West Jordan. “She’s just that student that loves everyone in class, loves being in class, always has a smile on her face, and is always willing to learn.”
Zaugg said she had no idea Kaylee could sing until she clicked on her YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH8kw3Qz1o28oLU8qi39g8g
|Kaylee Bucio – YouTube
Sign in to like videos, comment, and subscribe. Sign in. Watch Queue Queue
“Wow, she belts it. She’s incredible,” said Zaugg.
Martha Chavez, Kaylee’s voice coach, believes she has what it takes to be successful. Chavez is a former professional singer who has won numerous national awards. She has been a vocal coach for more than 20 years.
“I think she’s got what it takes to be a child star,” said Chavez. “It takes a lot of talent to be able to sing songs, and yet entertain people. That’s double talent.”
All together Kaylee has memorized 60 songs. With so much talent, it’s hard to remember that she is just a 3rd grader.
“When you are famous, you have to be really big, but I’m not famous because I’m really little,” she said.
Kaylee is expected to travel to Chicago next week to perform.
- Police: Man steals excavator, tears up ground outside grocery store (pageviews: 10928)
- Utah company must pay FTC over $200,000 for their fake ‘made in the USA’ tags – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10276)
- Flash flood advisory for Salt Lake, Davis County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8607)
- USANA Amphitheatre briefly evacuated due to weather – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6176)
- Utah company must pay FTC over $200,000 for their fake 'made in the USA' tags (pageviews: 5885)
- Hiker seriously injured by falling rock in Little Cottonwood Canyon (pageviews: 5171)
- Hiker seriously injured by falling rock in Little Cottonwood Canyon – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5037)