2002 Olympic Cauldron To Be Temporarily Relocated, Refurbished
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The cauldron from the 2002 Winter Olympic Games will be temporarily relocated this week as crews continue construction work to expand Rice-Eccles Stadium.
The cauldron will be moved to a secure location where it will receive a full refurbishment, intended to preserve the icon’s lifespan.
That project is expected to take one year. Officials said the cauldron will be reinstalled on a high pedestal at its new, permanent location outside the southwest corner of the stadium before stadium construction finishes in 2021.
The University of Utah board of trustees approved a bond for the stadium’s $80 million expansion project in Nov. 2018. The expansion, known as the Ken Garff Performance Zone, will raise Rice-Eccles’ capacity from 45,807 to 51,444 and add new amenities for the University of Utah’s football team and other athletic programs.
It could also boost Salt Lake’s bid to host another Olympic Games in 2030 or 2034.
“In addition to the new premium seating areas, the Ken Garff Performance Zone also will include new locker rooms, sports medicine facilities and hospitality areas, which will be a huge advantage in recruiting,” university officials said. “In addition, there will be space for athletic training, equipment, media and a recruiting lounge.”
The project is being funded by sponsorships and expected revenue generated by new premium seating. The Ken Garff family donated a record $17.5 million for the project and officials said $32 million of the $35 million sought in philanthropic gifts had been raised.
Rice-Eccles Stadium hosted the Opening and Closing ceremonies of the 2002 Winter Olympics Games.
- Details emerge in killings of 2 elderly Clearfield residents (pageviews: 24105)
- Man arrested in Mexico for murder of Utah radio host (pageviews: 8038)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 6318)
- Charges in crash that killed 3 should not have been dismissed, Utah appeals court says (pageviews: 5386)
- Three car crash closes road in West Valley City (pageviews: 3473)
- Man killed in rollover crash on I-15 in Draper (pageviews: 3334)