Brighton High Cheerleader Honored After Saving Student’s Life
COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS, Utah – Brighton High School cheerleader Kennady Kasteler was honored for saving the life of a fellow student at a recent Junior Jazz game.
Kasteler, 17, was at the game at Eastmont Middle School when she noticed some of her friends were crying on an adjacent basketball court.
People began shouting and asking for help and Kasteler knew someone was in trouble.
That person was Brighton High senior Mike Le Fear, who had stopped breathing while having a seizure.
Kasteler, who is a certified lifeguard, began CPR and Le Fear began breathing again as first responders arrived on scene.
“After it happened, I was sitting in the hall and I was like, I didn’t know what happened,” she said. “It happened so fast.”
Utah Attorney General Sean D. Reyes presented the award at Tuesday night’s basketball game between Brighton and Highland High.
“She deserves it,” Le Fear said. “I just appreciate her so much. I think everyone should know about what she did. It’s a cool thing, it’s really amazing.”
Le Fear said Kasteler’s actions have also inspired him to learn CPR.
— Canyons District (@canyonsdistrict) February 12, 2020
- Utah Mother Of Four Killed In Sanpete County Rollover Crash, Father Hospitalized (pageviews: 8952)
- Civil Filing Alleges Lori Vallow's Niece Knows Where Missing Children Are (pageviews: 8281)
- FDA Issues Warning To Jimmy John's For Safety Violations (pageviews: 7276)
- Disney CEO Bob Iger Steps Down In Surprise Announcement (pageviews: 5353)
- Lori Vallow's Neighbors Share Footage Showing Child Behaving Erratically Before Disappearance (pageviews: 4896)
- FCC Receives More Than 1,300 Complaints About Super Bowl Halftime Show (pageviews: 4378)
- Mom Of Missing Tennessee Toddler Arrested, Says She Can't Take Polygraph Due To Pregnancy (pageviews: 3291)
- One Dead, Multiple Injured In Severe Crash In Salt Lake City (pageviews: 3034)
- Coronavirus Shutdowns Hurting Springville Game Business (pageviews: 2960)