Brighton High Cheerleader Honored After Saving Student’s Life
COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS, Utah – Brighton High School cheerleader Kennady Kasteler was honored for saving the life of a fellow student at a recent Junior Jazz game.
Kasteler, 17, was at the game at Eastmont Middle School when she noticed some of her friends were crying on an adjacent basketball court.
People began shouting and asking for help and Kasteler knew someone was in trouble.
That person was Brighton High senior Mike Le Fear, who had stopped breathing while having a seizure.
Kasteler, who is a certified lifeguard, began CPR and Le Fear began breathing again as first responders arrived on scene.
“After it happened, I was sitting in the hall and I was like, I didn’t know what happened,” she said. “It happened so fast.”
Utah Attorney General Sean D. Reyes presented the award at Tuesday night’s basketball game between Brighton and Highland High.
“She deserves it,” Le Fear said. “I just appreciate her so much. I think everyone should know about what she did. It’s a cool thing, it’s really amazing.”
Le Fear said Kasteler’s actions have also inspired him to learn CPR.
— Canyons District (@canyonsdistrict) February 12, 2020
- Utah Teen Hospitalized, Battling Severe COVID-19 Symptoms (pageviews: 13809)
- Gephardt: COVID-19 Causing Coin Shortage For Utah Retailers, Banks (pageviews: 8147)
- Back-To-School Plans Announced For Davis School District Plans (pageviews: 5655)
- U Of U Researchers Discover Impacts Of COVID-19 On Blood (pageviews: 5196)
- Teens Surprise Special Needs Neighbor With Scooter For Birthday (pageviews: 4993)
- Family Speaks Out After Daughter Was Allegedly Shot, Killed By Estranged Husband (pageviews: 4959)
- State Reports 6 New Deaths, 517 New COVID-19 Cases (pageviews: 3392)
- Nick Cordero, Broadway Actor, Dies At 41 After Battle With COVID-19 (pageviews: 3055)
- 564 New Confirmed COVID-19 Cases, 49 New Hospitalizations And 4 New Deaths (pageviews: 2968)