Utah Woman Gives Birth On Sidewalk, Didn’t Know She Was Pregnant
COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS, Utah – A 29-year-old woman gave birth prematurely on a city sidewalk and told officers with the Cottonwood Heights Police Department that she didn’t know she was pregnant.
Sgt. Gary Young said it happened just before 7 p.m. in the area of 1151 East and 6720 South. Officers responded along with paramedics after receiving calls from residents who found the woman in distress holding a newborn.
“When they went outside, they observed the new mother with her pants down, holding an infant,” Young said.
Police said the woman lives in Murray but was in the area to pick up a Papa Murphy’s pizza. They said she was not feeling well, so she stopped on a side street and got out of the car.
“She said this was a surprise to her and she indicated to the officer that she didn’t know she was pregnant,” Young said.
Residents Hannah Knowles and Gabby Persons heard the commotion from outside their apartment.
“I just kept hearing sounds of distress. I couldn’t tell if it was crying or screaming,” Knowles said.
She said several neighbors were crowded around the young woman and her newborn.
“We could kind of see she was holding a blanket and she was rocking,” Knowles said. “We couldn’t see what it was but we heard them say like ‘cover it but don’t cover the face.’”
Bystanders called 911 and when paramedics arrived, they rushed the mother and her baby to Intermountain Medical Center in Murray. Police said the baby was premature and is being treated in the NICU.
- Utah Teen Hospitalized, Battling Severe COVID-19 Symptoms (pageviews: 13809)
- Gephardt: COVID-19 Causing Coin Shortage For Utah Retailers, Banks (pageviews: 8147)
- Back-To-School Plans Announced For Davis School District Plans (pageviews: 5655)
- U Of U Researchers Discover Impacts Of COVID-19 On Blood (pageviews: 5196)
- Teens Surprise Special Needs Neighbor With Scooter For Birthday (pageviews: 4993)
- Family Speaks Out After Daughter Was Allegedly Shot, Killed By Estranged Husband (pageviews: 4959)
- State Reports 6 New Deaths, 517 New COVID-19 Cases (pageviews: 3392)
- Nick Cordero, Broadway Actor, Dies At 41 After Battle With COVID-19 (pageviews: 3055)
- 564 New Confirmed COVID-19 Cases, 49 New Hospitalizations And 4 New Deaths (pageviews: 2968)