Utah Woman Gives Birth On Sidewalk, Didn’t Know She Was Pregnant
COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS, Utah – A 29-year-old woman gave birth prematurely on a city sidewalk and told officers with the Cottonwood Heights Police Department that she didn’t know she was pregnant.
Sgt. Gary Young said it happened just before 7 p.m. in the area of 1151 East and 6720 South. Officers responded along with paramedics after receiving calls from residents who found the woman in distress holding a newborn.
“When they went outside, they observed the new mother with her pants down, holding an infant,” Young said.
Police said the woman lives in Murray but was in the area to pick up a Papa Murphy’s pizza. They said she was not feeling well, so she stopped on a side street and got out of the car.
“She said this was a surprise to her and she indicated to the officer that she didn’t know she was pregnant,” Young said.
Residents Hannah Knowles and Gabby Persons heard the commotion from outside their apartment.
“I just kept hearing sounds of distress. I couldn’t tell if it was crying or screaming,” Knowles said.
She said several neighbors were crowded around the young woman and her newborn.
“We could kind of see she was holding a blanket and she was rocking,” Knowles said. “We couldn’t see what it was but we heard them say like ‘cover it but don’t cover the face.’”
Bystanders called 911 and when paramedics arrived, they rushed the mother and her baby to Intermountain Medical Center in Murray. Police said the baby was premature and is being treated in the NICU.
- Utah Mother Of Four Killed In Sanpete County Rollover Crash, Father Hospitalized (pageviews: 8952)
- Civil Filing Alleges Lori Vallow's Niece Knows Where Missing Children Are (pageviews: 8281)
- FDA Issues Warning To Jimmy John's For Safety Violations (pageviews: 7276)
- Disney CEO Bob Iger Steps Down In Surprise Announcement (pageviews: 5353)
- Lori Vallow's Neighbors Share Footage Showing Child Behaving Erratically Before Disappearance (pageviews: 4896)
- FCC Receives More Than 1,300 Complaints About Super Bowl Halftime Show (pageviews: 4378)
- Mom Of Missing Tennessee Toddler Arrested, Says She Can't Take Polygraph Due To Pregnancy (pageviews: 3291)
- One Dead, Multiple Injured In Severe Crash In Salt Lake City (pageviews: 3034)
- Coronavirus Shutdowns Hurting Springville Game Business (pageviews: 2960)