Police Service Dog, Suspect Killed In Officer Involved Shooting In Salt Lake City
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Officers shot and killed a parole fugitive during an operation involving the U.S. Marshals Violent Fugitive Apprehension Strike Team, authorities said. It’s the second officer involved shooting in Salt Lake City in week’s time.
The incident happened just before midnight on Thursday in the area of 400 East and 300 South.
Brandon Holt, chief deputy with the U.S. Marshals Service in Utah, said the strike team found Filion coming out of an apartment in Salt Lake City. He fled and officers gave chase. Filion brandished a weapon, and officers shot him, but not before he shot and killed Herriman City Police Department K-9 officer, Hondo.
Unified Police Department posted condolences to its Facebook page.
“Our hearts are broken this morning after learning of the death of Herriman City Police K9 Hondo,” according to the post. “… Our thoughts are with the Herriman PD and particularly with the K9 handler and his family, who lost their beloved partner and friend.”
No other officers were injured, officials said.
Still an active scene this morning where a fugitive was shot and killed near 400 E 300 south. “No injuries to officers at this time.” pic.twitter.com/m3whjCdGqX
— Felicia Martinez (@FeliciaKSL) February 14, 2020
A woman was taken into custody. Authorities have not released her identity or her involvement with Filion.
Salt Lake City Police Department’s officer-involved critical incident protocol team will be conducting the investigation.
Second Officer Involved Critical Incident In A Week
This officer-involved shooting in Salt Lake City comes just days after police exchanged gunfire with a suspect in a domestic dispute. Authorities discovered a woman deceased in that incident, which happened Monday just block’s away from the most recent incident.
The suspect in that incident is in custody and is being treated for what police say appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
This article will be updated.
- Utah Mother Of Four Killed In Sanpete County Rollover Crash, Father Hospitalized (pageviews: 8952)
- Civil Filing Alleges Lori Vallow's Niece Knows Where Missing Children Are (pageviews: 8281)
- FDA Issues Warning To Jimmy John's For Safety Violations (pageviews: 7276)
- Disney CEO Bob Iger Steps Down In Surprise Announcement (pageviews: 5353)
- Lori Vallow's Neighbors Share Footage Showing Child Behaving Erratically Before Disappearance (pageviews: 4896)
- FCC Receives More Than 1,300 Complaints About Super Bowl Halftime Show (pageviews: 4378)
- Mom Of Missing Tennessee Toddler Arrested, Says She Can't Take Polygraph Due To Pregnancy (pageviews: 3291)
- One Dead, Multiple Injured In Severe Crash In Salt Lake City (pageviews: 3034)
- Coronavirus Shutdowns Hurting Springville Game Business (pageviews: 2960)