Safe In 60: There Are Many Types Of Fire Extinguishers. Here’s How To Choose – And Use – The Right One
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – There are many types of fire extinguishers, and they are a small but important part of your home fire safety plan.
They can stop a small fire before it quickly gets out of control, potentially saving you from thousands of dollars in property damage. Different fire extinguishers are designed for different types of fires. In general, experts recommend homeowners buy a universal ABC extinguisher.
Those marked “A” are designed for trash, paper and wood. Class B extinguishers are effective for liquids, gases and solvents. And Class C extinguishers are designed for electrical fires.
You should have fire extinguishers readily accessible throughout your home. It’s a good idea to have one:
- On each floor of your house.
- In the kitchen (make sure the one here will fight a grease fire).
- In the garage or workshop where you store flammable items.
- In the laundry room (lint is extremely flammable).
- In each bedroom – most fires happen between 8:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. so you would likely be in your room.
- Near your grill on an outside patio.
- Near a fireplace or wood stove.
- Near the furnace.
- In the attic.
And don’t forget your car. It’s a good idea to keep one in your trunk.
To use an extinguisher, remember the acronym P.A.S.S.
- Pull the pin: hold the extinguisher with the nozzle pointing away from you and release the locking mechanism.
- Aim low: point the extinguisher at the base of the fire.
- Squeeze the lever slowly and evenly.
- Sweep the nozzle side to side.
Just like everything else, fire extinguishers don’t last forever, so check the expiration dates regularly.
And most importantly – if a fire is already out of control, focus on getting everyone to safety and then call 911. You should never try and fight a fire if it is not safe to do so.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9267)
- Farmington man recovering after falling 40 feet off a highway overpass (pageviews: 8058)
- Woman killed, boyfriend arrested after SLC apartment complex shooting (pageviews: 6022)
- 2 killed in separate Utah Co. crashes; 1 injured after hitting school bus in Clearfield (pageviews: 5683)
- Trail runner hurt by cougar in Millcreek Canyon; DWR locates, euthanizes animal (pageviews: 3183)
- One person dead after shooting at Salt Lake City apartment complex (pageviews: 2423)