Got A Beard? The CDC Says It Will Make Coronavirus Prevention Difficult
• CDC releases recommendations on coronavirus prevention
• Officials warn against certain types of facial hair
• Beards are likely to interfere with facepiece respirators
(CNN) — When it comes to novel coronavirus safety, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has some suggestions about facial hair.
Side whiskers, soul patches, lampshades and handlebar moustaches are good to go, according to a CDC infographic. But styles like long stubble, a beard, the Dali and mutton chops are not recommended because they are likely to interfere with a facepiece respirator.
Masks and respirators are being utilized around the world to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus, which has reached more than 80,000 cases globally.
A respirator covers at least the nose and mouth and protects against particles including infectious agents, the CDC said. However, the CDC does not recommend routine use outside of workplaces.
Facial hair poses a risk to the effectiveness of respirators because it may keep the exhalation valve from working properly if the two come into contact, the infographic said.
No matter the style choice, the hair should not cross the respirator sealing surface, the infographic said.
A goatee, horseshoe and villain mustache are okay, with caution, the infographic noted.
- Earthquake Tracker - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 14689)
- Gephardt: Getting Your Coronavirus Stimulus Check & What It Means For Your Taxes (pageviews: 9166)
- Costco Is Going To Start Limiting How Many People Can Enter The Store (pageviews: 7995)
- What Are Those Explosions? Tooele Army Depot Is Detonating Munitions (pageviews: 7939)
- Davis County Stay-At-Home Order Now In Place (pageviews: 5581)
- Amazon Fires Warehouse Worker Who Led Staten Island Warehouse Walkout (pageviews: 5355)
- 7 Deaths Related To COVID-19; More Than 1,000 Confirmed Cases In Utah (pageviews: 5120)
- Gov. Herbert Extends Public Health Directive, Adjusts Dine-In Guidelines (pageviews: 4993)
- Spring Breakers Who Ignored Public Health Advice Test Positive For COVID-19 (pageviews: 4918)