Utah Super Tuesday: Beehive State Joins 13 Others For Primary Election
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – There are 29 delegates up for grabs in Utah as The Beehive State takes part in its first Super Tuesday.
A candidate will need 15 percent of the vote to get any of those delegates.
Voters can begin casting their ballots at 7 a.m. at polling locations. Some counties have mail-in ballots only this year, but there are locations where those ballots can be dropped off. Find them at vote.utah.gov.
More than a million voters across more than a dozen states have already voted early or by mail-in ballot.
Tuesday’s primaries will play a pivotal role in deciding which Democratic challenger will go up against President Donald Trump in November.
In the days leading up to Super Tuesday, both Pete Buttigieg and Sen. Amy Klobuchar dropped their bids for the nomination. Both are still officially on the Utah ballot. There are some states that allow a person to re-vote if their original candidate drops out. Unfortunately, Utah is not among them.
Salt Lake County Clerk Sherrie Swensen said early voters who cast ballots for Buttigieg or Klobuchar cannot vote again. However, early voting numbers have been low.
“I think a lot of people are waiting to see what candidates were going to do – and rightfully so,” Swensen said.
To vote in the Republican primary, Utah residents will have to be registered as Republicans. The Democratic primary is open to everyone, regardless of party affiliation.
Utahns may only vote in one of the primaries, though.
Fourteen states and one U.S. territory are voting March 3.
- 8-year-old girl dies after Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 17916)
- 8-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 16520)
- Centerville wildfire 'most likely' caused by fireworks; evacuation orders lifted (pageviews: 8565)
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 8196)
- 8-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 7815)
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6068)