HIGH 5: Counselor Helps Students Reach Goals, Promotes Mental Health
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah – Sometimes all it takes is the right person to put a teenager on the right path. For many students at Hunter High School, that person has been Claudia Travis.
Mrs. Travis is the head counselor at HHS, and for 22 years she’s used warmth and positivity to guide the students.
“It’s the interaction,” Travis said. “It’s the little gal that came in that was crying, and you drop everything to say, ‘What’s going on? How can I help?'”
It was one such interaction that lead to a KSL High 5 for Mrs. Travis.
A mother wrote to KSL about her struggling son and how Travis gave him hope. She even helped him graduate early.
“She’s not just amazing with the kids,” said mother Renae Cox to Mrs. Travis. “Your love and kindness, your patience with me when I was having the freakout moments … you melted our hearts, and I wanted to give you something back to say thank you for taking Caleb under your wing and helping him fly.”
This year, Travis coordinated the high school’s first mental health awareness night for students and parents.
Principal Christine Straatman said Travis’ work is invaluable.
“I just want her to know how much we love her here at Hunter High,” Straatman said.
America First Credit Union joined in on the KSL High 5 with a special surprise for Mrs. Travis.
“We just want to express our deep appreciation for you as an educator, and dedicating your time and resources and really caring about the children here,” said Jenn Penn from America First. “With that, we want to present you with a $500 gift card.”
“She has such respect from the faculty and administration,” Straatman said. “We are so excited for her, and this was so well deserved.”
Do you know someone doing good in our community? A friend or family member building up neighbors or a coworker giving selflessly? Click here to nominate them for a KSL High 5.
- Herbert, State Leaders Holding Emergency Meeting After COVID-19 Spike (pageviews: 12174)
- Body Camera Video Released In Shooting Of 13-Year-Old With Autism (pageviews: 3848)
- Family Of Ogden Hiker Missing Since Sept. 8 Asking For Public's Help (pageviews: 2282)
- Ogden Woman Dies In ORV Crash In Uintah County (pageviews: 2262)
- Dr. Angela Dunn Speaks At TEDx, Addresses Utah COVID Case Spike (pageviews: 2127)
- Missing Idaho Hiker Found Dead After 1,000-Foot Fall (pageviews: 2038)
- Governor Herbert Renews Utah State Of Emergency (pageviews: 2030)
- Meet Our Team (pageviews: 1954)
- Search Continues For Missing Hiker In Weber County (pageviews: 1553)