USU Students Encouraged To Return Home For Semester
LOGAN, Utah – Students who live on-campus at Utah State University have been encouraged to go home. The request came just days after officials announced classes will move online, much like other colleges statewide.
Not everyone plans to leave.
University officials said they won’t force anyone to leave, but that was the recommendation, especially for students that live in on-campus housing.
Some students already left after the announcement, just days earlier, that courses would soon move online for the rest of the semester.
Roughly 4,000 students live in on-campus housing.
Students were emailed Monday. They will get prorated refunds for their rent, for both their housing and meal plans, should they choose to leave.
Of course, if they have nowhere else to go, officials said they were welcome to stay.
USU spokeswoman Amanda DeRito said this decision was about making sure students are where they and their parents will feel they will be the safest.
“I think every decision we’re making is tough. We meet every single day, and talk through different strategies and different scenarios, and try to come up with the best possible answers,” said DeRito. “That is obviously changing every single day. We’re making new decisions, and so we just have to take the best available information and make the best decisions that we can.”
Gathering places like the recreation center and gym will also close, starting Tuesday.
Several students said they understand and agree with the decision, but were still staying. Some work on-campus and need the money. For others, home is out of state, and getting there would not be easy.
Those who decide to stay will still have access to other services on campus, like their meals, library, and labs.
- Newly built homes deemed unlivable due to sliding soil - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5440)
- Body in Provo identified as jogger killed in hit-and-run (pageviews: 5179)
- Two dead after crashing into parked truck (pageviews: 5085)
- Utah Tech student dead after accidentally falling from balcony (pageviews: 2760)
- Utah Tech student dead after accidently falling from balcony (pageviews: 2591)
- Avalanche triggered at Snowbird resort, no injuries reported - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2230)