SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — When Charlotte Brown started couponing five years ago, she knew she wanted others to benefit from her new hobby. She never imagined her deliveries would be helping out an elderly woman who could not risk a trip to the grocery store or a mother who could not find baby wipes on store shelves during a global pandemic.
“This past weekend I just started replying to some of the posts that I saw saying ‘I can’t find this or I can’t find baby wipes, I can’t find toilet paper,’” Brown said.
So far, she and her family have donated food and cleaning supplies to 15 families around the Salt Lake Valley.
“We are neighbors, we are friends and we are family, whether we know each other or not, and we just help where we can,” she said.
Pastor Danny Brooks of Gospel Hope Church in Riverton said his church’s lobby has turned into a donation drop off over the last couple of days.
“We have sent delivery drivers out to drop off some of the staples like water, paper goods, even a little food,” he said.
Their focus has been the elderly community who are most vulnerable.
“That is exactly the kind of neighbor that we want to help, you know, someone who says ‘I can’t go out, I’m just fearful’,” he said.
Another group on Facebook, CommunityStrong, has organized a collection and pick up event right outside of Murray Fields Park Wednesday from noon to 2 p.m.
A similar event is scheduled for Sunday at the Orem Macey’s parking lot from 1 to 3 p.m.
- Have you or a family member been affected by coronavirus issues in Utah? KSL TV wants to hear from you. Contact KSL by emailing email@example.com.
- What is COVID-19? Here’s What You Need To Know To Stay Healthy
- What We Know And Don’t Know About The Coronavirus
- Four Common Coronavirus Questions Answered
- The latest coronavirus stories from KSL TV can be found at our Staying Safe: Coronavirus section.
- Your Life Your Health: How can parents prepare their home, children against coronavirus?
How Do I Prevent It?
The CDC has some simple recommendations, most of which are the same for preventing other respiratory illnesses or the flu:
- Avoid close contact with people who may be sick
- Avoid touching your face
- Stay home when you are sick
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue and then throw the tissue in the trash
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing. Always wash your hands with soap and water if your hands are visibly dirty.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
The CDC does not recommend wearing a face mask respirator to protect yourself from coronavirus unless a healthcare professional recommends it.
How To Get Help
If you’re worried you may have COVID-19, you can contact the Utah Coronavirus Information Line at 1-800-456-7707 to speak to trained healthcare professionals. You can also use telehealth services through your healthcare providers.
If you see evidence of PRICE GOUGING, the Utah Attorney General’s Office wants you to report it. Common items in question include toilet paper, water, hand sanitizer, certain household cleaners, and even cold medicine and baby formula. Authorities are asking anyone who sees price gouging to report it to the Utah Division of Consumer Protection at 801-530-6601 or 800-721-7233. The division can also be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school (pageviews: 24684)
- Idaho father fighting for his life in Utah hospital after dirt biking crash (pageviews: 19330)
- Medical examiner and cadaver dog called to park where investigators found Brian Laundrie's items (pageviews: 9862)
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9476)
- Utah woman arrested on suspicion of shaking, killing her infant boy (pageviews: 6688)
- Suspected human remains, items belonging to Brian Laundrie found in Florida park, FBI says (pageviews: 5928)
- FBI: Items linked to Laundrie, potential remains found (pageviews: 5212)
- Haiti gang wants $17M ransom for kidnapped American and Canadian missionaries (pageviews: 4446)
- Utah family urges caution after 1-year-old hospitalized with COVID-19 (pageviews: 4306)