Magnitude 3.94 Aftershock Latest To Rock Wasatch Front
The quake was initially reported as a magnitude 4.1 Sunday evening. It was downgraded to a 4.0, then 3.94 by officials with the University of Utah Seismograph Stations.
Over 200 aftershocks have been felt along the Wasatch Front since Wednesday’s magnitude 5.7 mainshock. Two magnitude 4.6 aftershocks hit Wednesday — one just under an hour after the mainshock and another just after 1 p.m.
In the first 30 minutes after Sunday’s aftershock, three more earthquakes — magnitudes 1.9, 0.9 and 0.7 — were recorded.
The latest information can be found at our KSL Earthquake Tracker.
Keith Koper, director of the University of Utah Seismograph Stations, said there will be a lot of aftershocks, into the hundreds, and even thousands. However, he said there was no evidence of another large earthquake to come.
The seismologist said there’s only a four-to-five percent probability that there will be an earthquake larger than the 5.7 and that probability decreases as time goes on.
“We have had several strong, or moderate-sized aftershocks,” Koper said. “The largest one was 4.6. We do expect aftershocks to continue, and to feel aftershocks for weeks, at least for days.”
While larger magnitude aftershocks will become less frequent with time, it is not unusual to have these larger M4 aftershocks, especially within the first week or two following an M5.7 mainshock. #utquake #utahearthquake #magnaearthquake
— UUSS (@UUSSquake) March 23, 2020
— UUSS (@UUSSquake) March 20, 2020
- Young Mother Killed In Head-On Crash In Kane County (pageviews: 9027)
- Pizza Delivery Driver Gets Surprise Tip, Becomes 'TikTok Famous' (pageviews: 7956)
- Herriman, Riverton Residents Help Give Back To Artist Alex Boyé (pageviews: 6649)
- Joe Montana, Wife Block Attempted Kidnapping Of Grandchild (pageviews: 4379)
- 2 Die In Single-Vehicle Crash In Tooele County (pageviews: 3507)
- Police Seek Public's Help Locating Missing Endangered Boy Out Of Millcreek (pageviews: 3031)
- Cache Valley Teen Lucky To Find Cell Signal After Rattlesnake Bite (pageviews: 2690)
- Utah Reports 1,068 New COVID-19 Cases, 5 New Deaths (pageviews: 1257)
- Structures Threatened By Fire Located South Of Veyo (pageviews: 1062)