Church President Calls For Worldwide Fast For Relief From Coronavirus Pandemic
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — President Russell M. Nelson of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints called for worldwide fasting on Sunday along with prayer for relief from the global coronavirus pandemic’s “physical, emotional and economic effects.”
The videotaped message was released just after 5 p.m. Wednesday.
President @NelsonRussellM invites members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and friends throughout the world to unite in faith and fasting for physical, spiritual, and other healing from COVID-19 this Sunday, March 29. https://t.co/qMX64BlKyY
— The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (@Ch_JesusChrist) March 26, 2020
The president and prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints invited members of the faith and their friends to join him in the fast and unite their faith to plead for divine strength.
“As a physician and surgeon, I have great admiration for medical professionals, scientists, and all who are working around the clock to curb the spread of COVID-19,” said President Nelson, who was a pioneer of open heart surgery. “I am also a man of faith, and I know that during these challenging times, we can be strengthened and lifted as we call upon God and his Son, Jesus Christ — the Master Healer.
“I invite you to join with me in a worldwide fast — for all whose health permits — to pray for relief from the physical, emotional and economic effects of this global pandemic. I invite members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints everywhere, along with our many friends, to fast and pray this Sunday, March 29. Let us unite our faith to plead for physical, spiritual and other healing throughout the entire world.
“The Lord understands the feelings you are experiencing. He loves and cares for you, as I do, too.”
Another senior Latter-day Saint leader said earlier this week that the world will win the “war on the coronavirus.” World history articulates humankind’s resiliency, President M. Russell Ballard, acting president of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, told the Church News.
The church has temporarily suspended all church meetings and activities, closed all of its temples around the world, sent tens of thousands of its missionaries back to their home countries and announced a broadcast-only general conference, carried throughout the world on satellite and through the internet.
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school (pageviews: 24684)
- Idaho father fighting for his life in Utah hospital after dirt biking crash (pageviews: 19330)
- Medical examiner and cadaver dog called to park where investigators found Brian Laundrie's items (pageviews: 9862)
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9476)
- Utah woman arrested on suspicion of shaking, killing her infant boy (pageviews: 6688)
- Suspected human remains, items belonging to Brian Laundrie found in Florida park, FBI says (pageviews: 5928)
- FBI: Items linked to Laundrie, potential remains found (pageviews: 5212)
- Haiti gang wants $17M ransom for kidnapped American and Canadian missionaries (pageviews: 4446)
- Utah family urges caution after 1-year-old hospitalized with COVID-19 (pageviews: 4306)