Utah Reports Second Death Related To COVID-19
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Authorities on Friday announced a second death in Utah related to COVID-19.
According to a statement from the Southwest Utah Public Health Department, the patient was a St. George resident and was an older adult woman who was younger than 60. She died Thursday in a Salt Lake area hospital.
The woman had “significant underlying health conditions,” according to the statement.
LIVE: The Utah Department of Health is holding its daily press update
Posted by KSL 5 TV on Friday, March 27, 2020
Health officials are in contact with individuals who have been in close contact with the patient. They are being asked to quarantine or isolate while monitoring for symptoms.
“We want to express our sympathy for this individual’s family and friends,” said SWUPHD health officer Dr. David Blodgett. “We encourage our community to maintain social distancing in your daily activites and make the effort to protect our older or vulnerable residents.”
The Utah Department of Health on Friday updated its total confirmed cases to 480. The Salt Lake County Health Department is reporting the most cases, with a total of 221, followed by Summit County, with a total of 110.
The UDOH list of reported cases did not include a case reported from the San Juan district, which was announced earlier Friday.
State epidemiologist Angela Dunn said Utah continues to see a five percent rate of positive tests.
“That means our social distancing and public health measures are working,” she said.
To date, the state has tested 9,244 people. Dunn said the numbers are expected to keep jumping because measures like drive-thru testing are making it easier for people to get tested.
Salt Lake City Mayor Erin Mendenhall and Salt Lake County Mayor Jenny Wilson indicated Thursday they believe a statewide stay at home order should go into effect. Dunn said the numbers indicate that is not necessary but it is a topic under discussion. Governor Gary Herbert would ultimately make that decision.
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 13441)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 7554)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 5852)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 4852)
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 4484)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 3699)