Golfer Tony Finau Helps Feed Utah Families
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Golf legend Tony Finau is giving back in a very big way by helping to feed families in Utah.
On Monday, one bag at a time, food was put together to help the kids at Backman Elementary School.
“Large boxes of cereal, dinner items, beans, rice, tortillas, you name it,” said Rosanna Morera with For the Kids, a local organization helping Utah families.
The donations are thanks to Finau and the Tony Finau Foundation.
“He was student at Backman Elementary School,” Morera said.
Given the current COVID-19 pandemic, Finau said he wanted to give back to his fellow Backman Lions.
“He reached out to Backman and said, ‘Hey, I’ve got money. What do I do with it? I have no idea how to feed these children that I know are going without,’” Morera said.
Already in a partnership with Backman Elementary School, ForTheKids.org stepped in to partner with Finau. His contribution made the donations even bigger.
“Going from about 350 kids every week, we’ve collected the food on our own,” Morera said. “With Tony’s donation, we’re able to feed 500.”
The generous donation made it possible to feed the entire families during a time when many have lost their jobs and shelves are bare.
“At the end of the day we’re here to help each other,” Morera said. “If we can’t lean on each other, then we don’t have anything.”
Finau couldn’t make it to Utah due to golf commitments in Arizona, but he Skyped with the organizations prior to delivery.
“It’s so cool to see it come to life and help the kids in a community that I love and where I grew up,” Finau said.
Tthe Finau Foundation and For the Kids on Tuesday are also delivering food to families at Liberty Elementary, a Title I school with the highest number of students in need in Salt Lake City.
- Dental records prove remains found in Florida are those of Brian Laundrie, boyfriend to Gabby Petito (pageviews: 13583)
- Parents of 6-year-old girl killed on Colorado amusement park ride file wrongful death suit (pageviews: 6751)
- Warrant: Baldwin didn't know weapon contained live round (pageviews: 6531)
- Strong probability that suspected remains found in Florida park are Brian Laundrie's, family attorney says (pageviews: 5863)
- Recall: Red, white and yellow whole onions identified as source of salmonella outbreak (pageviews: 4632)
- Sheriff: Baldwin fired prop gun that killed cinematographer (pageviews: 4318)
- SLC IT employee arrested after allegedly providing undercover police data to human trafficker (pageviews: 3714)
- Sheriff: Baldwin fired shot on movie set that killed woman (pageviews: 3468)
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school (pageviews: 3382)