Here’s What Health Experts Say About Face Masks
(CNN) — Should you or shouldn’t you wear a face mask during the coronavirus pandemic? Here’s what health organizations and top experts say.
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: The organization recommends that if you are not sick, “you do not need to wear a facemask unless you are caring for someone who is sick.” However, if you are sick, “You should wear a facemask when you are around other people (e.g., sharing a room or vehicle) and before you enter a healthcare provider’s office,” the CDC said.
The World Health Organization: WHO is standing by its recommendation to only wear a mask if you are sick or caring for someone who is sick. “Mask wearing by the general public is not among the WHO’s recommendations,” the organization said.
Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy: Moments ago, he said masks should not be used as a substitute for social distancing, but rather can be used as a supplement. “Because of some recent information that the virus can actually be spread even when people just speak as opposed to coughing and sneezing, the better part of valor is that when you’re out and you can’t maintain that six-foot distance to wear some sort of facial covering.” has said that the White House Task Force is actively discussing guidelines on masks.
CNN’s Sanjay Gupta: He explained that masks could help people who have coronavirus but not have symptoms from spreading the virus. “The way to think about this mask issue is that it’s not really, still, for people who are not infected. This is more for people who might be infected and don’t know it, and to try and lower the likelihood that they will spread this to somebody else.” He stressed that social distancing is the best best way to fight the spread of coronavirus, and said that N95 respirators should be reserved for health care workers.
- Antibody Testing Shows Many Utahns Had COVID-19 But Did Not Know It (pageviews: 20182)
- Three People Seriously Injured After Falling At Stewart Falls (pageviews: 9674)
- Three-Year-Old Child Drowns In Residential Pool In St. George (pageviews: 9639)
- Cache County Woman Dies Of COVID-19; State Total At 98 (pageviews: 7686)
- Woman Killed After Meeting Suspect On Tinder In Layton (pageviews: 7627)
- White Woman Apologizes After Calling Police On Black Man Saying He Was Threatening Her Life (pageviews: 5371)
- Four Minneapolis Officers Fired After Death Of Black Man (pageviews: 5158)
- Thousands Of Boats Inspected For Invasive Mussels Over Holiday Weekend (pageviews: 5055)
- Lawmakers Want VA To Remove Swastika From Gravestone At Utah Cemetery (pageviews: 4454)
- Woman Talks About Close Encounter With Tinder Murder Suspect (pageviews: 4235)