Calls Increase For ‘Stay At Home’ Order In Utah
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – An online petition has been created to ask Utah Governor Gary Herbert to order Utahns to stay home during the coronavirus pandemic.
It’s a controversial issue, one that people on both sides feel very strongly about. On one side are those who want the governor to issue a mandatory stay-at-home order.
The other side includes those who want people to make their own decisions, and keep the economy going in areas that haven’t been hit by the spread of COVID-19.
In his daily press conference on Friday, Herbert addressed the current directive.
“This is a directive which we expect everyone in the state of Utah to abide by,” he said. ”There is really not a lot of difference (between a directive and a mandatory shut-down). We expect the good people of Utah to use their common sense and protect themselves and their families and friends and do what is right.”
.@GovHerbert If people don't comply, we will take more agressive measures.
— Ashley Kewish (@ashleykewish) April 3, 2020
Some people have been critical of that decision, saying further restrictions are needed.
“I fear that as cases increase, if we don’t social distance in rural communities and other places, that those hospitals will be overwhelmed and lives will be lost,” said Salt Lake County Mayor Jenny Wilson.
The online petition urged Gov. Herbert to make it mandatory to stay at home. The petition was organized by Lily Everett, a certified physician’s assistant at a Salt Lake area hospital.
“I’ve seen a lot of fear amongst my colleagues, because we’re just waiting for that surge,” Everett said.
As of Friday evening, the online petition had a little more than 12,000 signatures.
“I want to further all the Utah voices that really believe that we need higher measures in place to protect us,” Everett said.
The situation has changed by the hour and opinions have changed just as fast.
“I’ve emailed the governor and the lieutenant governor, and I have yet to hear back,” Everett said. “I’m going to keep getting signatures and keep pressing the issue.”
Herbert said the situation has been evaluated every day by state experts.
The petition can be found at change.org.
- Antibody Testing Shows Many Utahns Had COVID-19 But Did Not Know It (pageviews: 20182)
- Three People Seriously Injured After Falling At Stewart Falls (pageviews: 9674)
- Three-Year-Old Child Drowns In Residential Pool In St. George (pageviews: 9639)
- Cache County Woman Dies Of COVID-19; State Total At 98 (pageviews: 7686)
- Woman Killed After Meeting Suspect On Tinder In Layton (pageviews: 7627)
- White Woman Apologizes After Calling Police On Black Man Saying He Was Threatening Her Life (pageviews: 5371)
- Four Minneapolis Officers Fired After Death Of Black Man (pageviews: 5158)
- Thousands Of Boats Inspected For Invasive Mussels Over Holiday Weekend (pageviews: 5055)
- Lawmakers Want VA To Remove Swastika From Gravestone At Utah Cemetery (pageviews: 4454)
- Woman Talks About Close Encounter With Tinder Murder Suspect (pageviews: 4235)