Utah House Democrats Urge Governor To Issue Stay-At-Home Order
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The Utah House Democratic Caucus on Monday issued a statement urging Gov. Gary Herbert to issue a statewide stay-at-home order.
According to the statement, state Democrats are calling on the governor to “immediately order all state residents engaged in non-essential activities to stay home.”
“Governor Herbert must send a stronger, clearer message to every person in the state about the severe threat of COVID-19 to our health, our welfare, and our economic well-being,” the statement reads.
The House Democrats said they don’t believe the current “Stay Safe, Stay Home” program is as effective as an “explicit stay-at-home order.”
“The strength of an order from the Governor, combined with the other excellent components of what Utah leaders have already done and are doing, will make us all more aware of the need to follow safe practices at this critical time,” according to the statement. “The public health community is telling us that more aggressive action in the form of a public order for people in non-essential activities to stay home is the most effective way of reducing the rate of the spread of the infection.”
Herbert on Friday said the “Stay Safe, Stay Home” directive is something state leaders hope everyone abides by.
“There is really not a lot of difference (between a directive and a mandatory shutdown),” he said. “We expect the good people of Utah to use their common sense and protect themselves and their families and friends and do what is right.”
Utah is one of nine states, including Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Oklahoma, Arkansas and South Carolina, which have not issued statewide stay-at-home orders.
- 19-year-old dies at hospital following crash in Uintah County (pageviews: 12077)
- Coldest temperature in the US Monday recorded in Peter Sinks, Utah (pageviews: 8131)
- Agents report finding child porn, bag of children's underwear in Utah man's home (pageviews: 6707)
- Coldest temperature in the US Monday recorded in Peter Sinks, Utah - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5572)
- High winds forces late start for northern Utah school districts (pageviews: 4895)
- 'Laverne & Shirley' actor Cindy Williams dies at 75 (pageviews: 3897)