Utah House Democrats Urge Governor To Issue Stay-At-Home Order
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The Utah House Democratic Caucus on Monday issued a statement urging Gov. Gary Herbert to issue a statewide stay-at-home order.
According to the statement, state Democrats are calling on the governor to “immediately order all state residents engaged in non-essential activities to stay home.”
“Governor Herbert must send a stronger, clearer message to every person in the state about the severe threat of COVID-19 to our health, our welfare, and our economic well-being,” the statement reads.
The House Democrats said they don’t believe the current “Stay Safe, Stay Home” program is as effective as an “explicit stay-at-home order.”
“The strength of an order from the Governor, combined with the other excellent components of what Utah leaders have already done and are doing, will make us all more aware of the need to follow safe practices at this critical time,” according to the statement. “The public health community is telling us that more aggressive action in the form of a public order for people in non-essential activities to stay home is the most effective way of reducing the rate of the spread of the infection.”
Herbert on Friday said the “Stay Safe, Stay Home” directive is something state leaders hope everyone abides by.
“There is really not a lot of difference (between a directive and a mandatory shutdown),” he said. “We expect the good people of Utah to use their common sense and protect themselves and their families and friends and do what is right.”
Utah is one of nine states, including Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Oklahoma, Arkansas and South Carolina, which have not issued statewide stay-at-home orders.
- Antibody Testing Shows Many Utahns Had COVID-19 But Did Not Know It (pageviews: 20182)
- Three People Seriously Injured After Falling At Stewart Falls (pageviews: 9674)
- Three-Year-Old Child Drowns In Residential Pool In St. George (pageviews: 9639)
- Cache County Woman Dies Of COVID-19; State Total At 98 (pageviews: 7686)
- Woman Killed After Meeting Suspect On Tinder In Layton (pageviews: 7627)
- White Woman Apologizes After Calling Police On Black Man Saying He Was Threatening Her Life (pageviews: 5371)
- Four Minneapolis Officers Fired After Death Of Black Man (pageviews: 5158)
- Thousands Of Boats Inspected For Invasive Mussels Over Holiday Weekend (pageviews: 5055)
- Lawmakers Want VA To Remove Swastika From Gravestone At Utah Cemetery (pageviews: 4454)
- Woman Talks About Close Encounter With Tinder Murder Suspect (pageviews: 4235)