Flags To Be Flown At Half-Staff To Honor Utah Businessman Bob Garff
SALT LAKE CITY – Gov. Gary Herbert ordered all flags on the grounds of the State Capitol to be flown at half-staff from sunrise to sunset on Friday in honor of Utah icon and businessman Bob Garff.
The order applies only to U.S. and Utah state flags. Herbert also encouraged businesses and individuals to lower their flags.
The Governor’s office said Garff will be laid to rest that same day.
The Utah businessman died on March 29. He was the third person in the state to die from COVID-19 after he and his wife, Katharine, tested positive for the virus following a trip to Palm Springs, California.
We have lost a really great man. Bob Garff touched countless lives and gave so much service to our state, and its people. He was such a positive example to all of us. He leaves a hole in our heart and in the community.
— Gary R. Herbert (@GovHerbert) March 29, 2020
Garff worked in the automotive business for 60 years. He also served on several boards, was speaker of the Utah House of Representatives, and Chairman of the Salt Lake Chamber of Commerce.
In 1998, Garff was named as the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Salt Lake Organizing Committee for the 2002 Olympic Games.
He also held numerous callings in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, including Bishop, President of the England Coventry Mission, Stake President for University of Utah students, Area Seventy, and President of the Bountiful Temple.
- Meteor causes loud boom heard across northern Utah, National Weather Service says (pageviews: 33024)
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 22249)
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure (pageviews: 17815)
- Meteor causes loud boom heard across northern Utah, National Weather Service says – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 12809)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints makes changes to ‘tithing settlement’ – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8138)
- Teen vandals destroy koi pond, try to harm fish at Salt Lake City business (pageviews: 5410)