Northern Utah Gets Second 4.2 Aftershock In A Week
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Northern Utah felt another aftershock Thursday morning.
According to the U.S. Geological Survey, the 4.2 magnitude aftershock happened at 7:41 a.m. at a depth of 6.2 miles with an epicenter about 3 miles northeast of Magna. It comes two days after another 4.2 aftershock rattled the area.
The quake happened the same day as the Great Utah Shakeout, where people across the state take part in a coordinated earthquake drill.
There have been more than 1,200 aftershocks since the mainshock on March 18, officials said.
they have more than average. This feels abnormal to us because this is the first time in most of our lives that we’ve lived near an earthquake sequence like this. But for the earth, this is business as usual.
— UUSS (@UUSSquake) April 16, 2020
According to the University of Utah Seismograph Stations, residents along the Wasatch Front could expect aftershocks to continue weeks, and even months, after the main event.
This feels abnormal to us because this is the first time in most of our lives that we’ve lived near an earthquake sequence like this,” according to a UUSS tweet. “But for the earth, this is business as usual.”
You can see the latest earthquakes from the KSL TV Earthquake Tracker.
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school (pageviews: 24684)
- Idaho father fighting for his life in Utah hospital after dirt biking crash (pageviews: 19330)
- Medical examiner and cadaver dog called to park where investigators found Brian Laundrie's items (pageviews: 9862)
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9476)
- Utah woman arrested on suspicion of shaking, killing her infant boy (pageviews: 6688)
- Suspected human remains, items belonging to Brian Laundrie found in Florida park, FBI says (pageviews: 5928)
- FBI: Items linked to Laundrie, potential remains found (pageviews: 5212)
- Haiti gang wants $17M ransom for kidnapped American and Canadian missionaries (pageviews: 4446)
- Utah family urges caution after 1-year-old hospitalized with COVID-19 (pageviews: 4306)