Magnitude 2.8 Aftershock Reported Near Magna
MAGNA, Utah – A magnitude 2.8 aftershock was reported by the U.S. Geological Survey near Magna.
The aftershock was first recorded as a magnitude 2.9 earthquake Friday evening.
This was the sixth aftershock above magnitude 2.0 in the area over the last five days, including two magnitude 4.2 aftershocks that rattled most of Salt Lake County on Tuesday and Thursday.
Over 1,250 aftershocks have been recorded since March 18’s magnitude 5.7 mainshock.
“The aftershock activity is expected to continue for at least several more weeks, but with the rate continuing to decrease with time,” officials with the University of Utah Seismograph Stations said.
Keith Koper, director of the University Of Utah Seismograph Stations, said more aftershocks were expected after Tuesday’s magnitude 4.2 aftershock.
A magnitude 2.5 earthquake was also reported in Beaver County on Friday.
Just wanted to recognize that other parts of Utah have earthquakes, too. Though no one seems to have felt them.
11 mi. NW of Manderfield, Beaver County at 5:32 pm
Largest quake of the day so far was 2 mi. NE of Magna at 6:08 pm = M2.9. pic.twitter.com/RVPXLynBiY
— Utah Division of Emergency Management (Utah DEM) (@UtahEmergency) April 18, 2020
LIVE: See the latest earthquakes on the KSL TV Earthquake Tracker
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school (pageviews: 24684)
- Idaho father fighting for his life in Utah hospital after dirt biking crash (pageviews: 19330)
- Medical examiner and cadaver dog called to park where investigators found Brian Laundrie's items (pageviews: 9862)
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9476)
- Utah woman arrested on suspicion of shaking, killing her infant boy (pageviews: 6688)
- Suspected human remains, items belonging to Brian Laundrie found in Florida park, FBI says (pageviews: 5928)
- FBI: Items linked to Laundrie, potential remains found (pageviews: 5212)
- Haiti gang wants $17M ransom for kidnapped American and Canadian missionaries (pageviews: 4446)
- Utah family urges caution after 1-year-old hospitalized with COVID-19 (pageviews: 4306)