Navajo Nation Issues Order Requiring People To Wear Masks In Public
WINDOW ROCK, Ariz. — Navajo Nation officials issued a public health order requiring all individuals to wear protective masks in public.
The order was issued Friday by the Navajo Department of Health.
The department also reported 3 more deaths and 85 new cases of the novel coronavirus. As of Friday afternoon, 44 people have died from COVID-19, while a total of 1,127 people have tested positive.
The confirmed positive cases span across the following counties:
- San Juan County, UT: 14
- Navajo County, AZ: 316
- Apache County, AZ: 168
- Coconino County, AZ: 203
- McKinley County, NM: 235
- San Juan County, NM: 153
- Cibola County, NM: 13
- Socorro County, NM: 13
- Sandoval County, NM: 12
The updated numbers were released as the nation’s 57-hour weekend curfew went into effect.
The curfew began at 8:00 p.m. Friday and will last until 5:00 a.m. (MDT) Monday. The curfew will also be enforced the following weekend.
Officials said the Navajo Police Department will continue to enforce the weekend curfew with road checkpoints. Violators will be cited, possibly facing up to $1,000 in fines and/or 30 days in jail.
“Everyone should have everything they need for the weekend, so we should not have anyone traveling this weekend except for essential workers and in cases of emergencies. I said this before, we are strong and resilient just like our ancestors,” said Navajo Nation President Jonathan Nez. “Our people have overcome so much, much worse than COVID-19 and we need to honor and remember all of the sacrifices that our ancestors made for us to be here today. Let’s not be careless, let’s not be selfish, but let’s rise up and beat this virus together.”
Police issued 119 citations last weekend.
- Utah’s second Topgolf location to open Friday - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5415)
- Locations of 6 international temples released (pageviews: 4509)
- Teens build intricate 'Gingerbread Cathedral,' get out of writing essay (pageviews: 3865)
- Police confirm no shooting has occurred at Granger Elementary School; school evacuated (pageviews: 2338)
- Details emerge in killings of 2 elderly Clearfield residents (pageviews: 2300)
- Utah’s second Topgolf location to open Friday (pageviews: 2293)