Greta Thunberg Donates $100,000 To Help Children Affected By Pandemic
(CNN) — Climate activist Greta Thunberg is donating prize money she won to help fight the coronavirus pandemic and protect children from its potentially detrimental consequences.
Human Act, a Danish worldwide development organization, recently gave Thunberg $100,000 for her global activism, but now that money will go to the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), according to a statement from the agency. Human Act has pledged to match Thunberg’s donation by contributing another $100,000 to launch a campaign specifically aimed at safeguarding children’s rights and welfare at this time.
The sum will support UNICEF’s efforts to protect children from food shortages, strained healthcare systems, violence and lost school days, according to the release.
“I’m asking everyone to step up and join me in support of UNICEF’s vital work to save children’s lives, to protect health and continue education,” Thunberg said
“Like the climate crisis, the coronavirus pandemic is a child-rights crisis,” Thunberg added, in an online statement.”It will affect all children, now and in the long-term, but vulnerable groups will be impacted the most.”
The effects of the coronavirus pandemic are expected to be the most damaging for children in poorer countries and those living in the poorest neighborhoods, according to a recent study by the United Nations.
Through the campaign, UNICEF will help fight coronavirus by providing essential items like soap, masks, gloves, hygiene kits, protective equipment and life-saving information to healthcare systems in need.
- US coach makes dramatic rescue of artistic swimmer at worlds (pageviews: 12230)
- AIR SHOW: What to bring, what to leave at home and how to get there (pageviews: 7508)
- Utah woman killed, one person injured in Nevada crash (pageviews: 5653)
- Teen trying to save another swimmer drowns in Deer Creek (pageviews: 5638)
- Utah couple gets hit with sky-high surprise air ambulance bill – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4110)
- 5 planets take center stage as they align in the night sky (pageviews: 3222)