Utah Woman Shares Experience After Contracting COVID-19 While Pregnant
MOUNTAIN GREEN, Utah – When Melissa Brewer decided to do a precautionary test for COVID-19, she was almost certain her results would come back negative.
“In my mind I was 99.9% sure we were going to be negative because we had no crazy symptoms,” she said. “We were feeling great. I had the sniffles a little bit.”
A few days prior to getting swabbed, her husband lost his sense of smell and taste. The couple have three young children with one on the way and decided to get tested for peace of mind. The results came back positive.
“It was surprising because we were being very careful,” she said.
Brewer, who is due in May, said the family had been taking every precaution but still managed to contract the virus. With a now positive test result, she contacted her doctor to learn more about the impact this would have on her pregnancy.
“He reassured us that the virus does not travel to the baby in the womb, so we don’t need to be concerned about that,” she said.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports mother-to-child transmission of coronavirus during pregnancy is unlikely, and the virus has not been detected in amniotic fluid.
Brewer said what she is most grateful for is that she will be delivering a healthy baby now having survived the virus.
“I don’t know much about immunity, but from what all of my doctors are telling me, we should be good for when the baby is delivered,” she said. “We should all be healthy and that is really reassuring to me because, of course, the No. 1 thing I’m thinking about right now is keeping our baby healthy.”
- Ogden Officer Killed After Responding To Domestic Violence Call; Another Injured (pageviews: 16156)
- Gephardt: How Solar Panels Affect Loans, Refinancing & Selling Your Home (pageviews: 9950)
- Ogden Police: 1 Officer Killed, Another Injured In Shooting (pageviews: 6417)
- Deserae Turner Graduates 3 Years After Being Shot In The Head (pageviews: 4567)
- Owner Of Thousands Of Chickens Pushes Back Against Animal Cruelty Allegations (pageviews: 4422)
- Ogden Police: Officer Involved Shooting In Area Of Jackson And Herrop (pageviews: 3823)
- Airbnb Rental Leads To Accidental Quarantine Family (pageviews: 3342)
- Neighbors: Ogden Shooting Suspect Had Aggressive History (pageviews: 3340)
- State Reports 343 New Cases Of COVID-19; Largest Single-Day Increase So Far (pageviews: 3266)