Utah Woman Shares Experience After Contracting COVID-19 While Pregnant
MOUNTAIN GREEN, Utah – When Melissa Brewer decided to do a precautionary test for COVID-19, she was almost certain her results would come back negative.
“In my mind I was 99.9% sure we were going to be negative because we had no crazy symptoms,” she said. “We were feeling great. I had the sniffles a little bit.”
A few days prior to getting swabbed, her husband lost his sense of smell and taste. The couple have three young children with one on the way and decided to get tested for peace of mind. The results came back positive.
“It was surprising because we were being very careful,” she said.
Brewer, who is due in May, said the family had been taking every precaution but still managed to contract the virus. With a now positive test result, she contacted her doctor to learn more about the impact this would have on her pregnancy.
“He reassured us that the virus does not travel to the baby in the womb, so we don’t need to be concerned about that,” she said.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports mother-to-child transmission of coronavirus during pregnancy is unlikely, and the virus has not been detected in amniotic fluid.
Brewer said what she is most grateful for is that she will be delivering a healthy baby now having survived the virus.
“I don’t know much about immunity, but from what all of my doctors are telling me, we should be good for when the baby is delivered,” she said. “We should all be healthy and that is really reassuring to me because, of course, the No. 1 thing I’m thinking about right now is keeping our baby healthy.”
- Man Dies From Injuries Sustained In Tooele County Crash (pageviews: 6306)
- Wasatch Co. Family Remembers Mother Killed In Fiery Heber City Crash (pageviews: 5570)
- One Arrest Made In Austin, Texas, Mass Shooting That Injured 14 People (pageviews: 5069)
- Four People Were Rescued Off A Boat 'Teetering' At The Edge Of A Texas Dam, Police Say (pageviews: 4786)
- Prices are Surging. Here's What Is Getting More Expensive (pageviews: 4155)
- Utah Woman Dies After Rollover Crash In Idaho (pageviews: 3149)
- Taylorsville Teen Dismembered, Stabbed (pageviews: 2991)
- Officials Urge Utahns To Follow Extreme Drought Watering Guide (pageviews: 2617)
- Water Wasting Reports Flood Utah's 'Hall Of Fame Or Shame' Website (pageviews: 2390)