High School Seniors Recognized Through ‘Adopt A Utah Senior’ Project
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Hundreds of high school seniors have been receiving special deliveries from complete strangers through the “Adopt A Utah Senior” project.
Monica Kennedy started the Facebook page to help uplift high school seniors who were missing out on graduation.
“I thought if I can help someone else feel better, if I can brighten someone’s day, including my own senior, that was my goal,” Kennedy said.
The project pairs students with people in the community who “adopt” them by showering them with support.
“I have seen lots of fun gift baskets their favorite treats and drinks,” Kennedy said. “I’ve seen cards and letters, things that just let these kids know we are thinking about them.”
Carissa Chacon came across the project on social media and decided she and her family would adopt 18 seniors. Over the past week, they have personally delivered gifts to students across the state.
“I’m heartbroken for the seniors who are missing out on graduation!”
— Ashley Moser (@AshleyMoser) May 6, 2020
“I just want to share some joy and happiness with these kids,” Chacon said. “It breaks my heart because they don’t understand and aren’t equipped to deal with what’s happening.”
Travis Thompson recurved his gift basket Tuesday and said he appreciated the show of support during such a difficult time.
“I love it! it’s really amazing because everyone is just coming together and in a time like this where it’s really important to have a sense of community,” he said.
To find out more about the project or to nominate a senior, visit “Adopt a Utah Senior” on Facebook.
- Neighborhood supports family of West Jordan mom killed in Big Cottonwood Canyon crash (pageviews: 8218)
- Two teens killed in Lehi crash (pageviews: 5430)
- Heber homicide suspect found dead in Oregon (pageviews: 5285)
- Utah player suffers tragic accident just days before Little League World Series (pageviews: 4302)
- Several churches vandalized in Sandy and Orem (pageviews: 3784)
- Family friend remembers expectant West Jordan mother killed in crash (pageviews: 3460)