Wednesday’s Child: 12-Year-Old Kenzie Dreams Of Becoming A Big Sister In A Forever Family
MILLCREEK, Utah – As Utah slowly returns to normal following uncertain times, there are children in Utah who still need our help.
For kids living in foster care, their normal means a life without a family. Kenzie was dreaming that will change for her soon.
She shared her dream with us in Millcreek at a cute little bakery called “So Cupcake.”
There is no doubt she was shy around our TV cameras, but she took it all in stride and with a smile.
When we got the 12-year-old behind some baking supplies, she came to life.
“Do you have any fondant?” she asked the owner.
Creating in the kitchen is Kenzie’s passion.
“I have an idea about making a certain kind of cake today,” she said excitedly.
Creating in the kitchen is also Kenzie’s escape.
“Some days, I (bake) to keep my mind off stuff,” Kenzie explained. “It helps if I’m having a hard day and then I can do something about it.”
Kenzie said those “hard days” come when it’s time to move again.
“(In foster care) you just live there until a family says that they want you to leave,” she said.
Living in foster care also means instability and uncertainty for the seventh-grader.
She loves unicorns and said she even recently dreamed she would be granted one wish.
“If I still didn’t have a family yet, I would wish for that family,” she said. “I hope they also have a baby because babies are so cute. I really want to be a big sister.”
For now, unicorns will remain dessert decor in the kitchen. She slowly adjusted the ice cream cone on top of her nearly finished cake.
“This really looks like a unicorn,” she said proudly of her masterpiece.
As for a family? She is going to keep on dreaming and hoping that will become a reality, however long it takes.
“I know it’s not going to happen right away,” she said.
To learn more about Kenzie or the many other children living in The Utah Foster Care system, contact The Adoption Exchange at 801-365-0444 or at www.adoptex.org.
- Ogden Officer Killed After Responding To Domestic Violence Call; Another Injured (pageviews: 16156)
- Gephardt: How Solar Panels Affect Loans, Refinancing & Selling Your Home (pageviews: 9950)
- Ogden Police: 1 Officer Killed, Another Injured In Shooting (pageviews: 6417)
- Deserae Turner Graduates 3 Years After Being Shot In The Head (pageviews: 4567)
- Owner Of Thousands Of Chickens Pushes Back Against Animal Cruelty Allegations (pageviews: 4422)
- Ogden Police: Officer Involved Shooting In Area Of Jackson And Herrop (pageviews: 3823)
- Airbnb Rental Leads To Accidental Quarantine Family (pageviews: 3342)
- Neighbors: Ogden Shooting Suspect Had Aggressive History (pageviews: 3340)
- State Reports 343 New Cases Of COVID-19; Largest Single-Day Increase So Far (pageviews: 3266)