Officer-Involved Shooting Reported After Orem Hit & Run
OREM, Utah – Police confirmed an officer-involved shooting in Orem near 800 North and 800 West following a hit-and-run crash.
Lt. Nick Thomas with the Orem Police Department said the incident started around 6:30 p.m. Friday and resulted in a chase that ended at 1600 North near 950 West.
No officers were injured and Thomas said the suspect was taken into custody.
Police said the hit-and-run crash happened around 6:30 p.m. near Center Street and 800 North. As officers arrived, the suspect fled the scene along 800 North.
Officer involved shooting in Orem. Orem police officer shot at a hit-and-run suspect as they were fleeing the scene of a crash. The suspect later crashed and was taken into custody. The officer, the original victim who was hit, and the suspect are all okay. @KSL5TV at 10. #ksltv pic.twitter.com/htJUj6chF0
— Alex Cabrero (@KSL_AlexCabrero) May 9, 2020
Officials with the Orem Police Department said they pursued the suspect and an officer fired at least one shot at the suspect at the intersection of 800 North and 800 West.
Police did not confirm if the suspect was struck by the bullet, but they did say the victim in the hit-and-run did not suffer major injuries.
Crews closed lanes in both directions on 800 North while police investigated; those lanes were reopened Friday night.
Officer involved shooting after a hit and run crash.
Posted by KSL 5 TV on Friday, May 8, 2020
KSL 5 TV Live
- 'It just keeps coming': Warnings issued in Utah with wintry week ahead (pageviews: 9883)
- 6-year-old boy dies after being ejected during rollover crash (pageviews: 9675)
- Important dates, rendering released for 3 Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint temples (pageviews: 8289)
- Police officer wounded, gunman killed in Springville shootout (pageviews: 7785)
- 2 accused of fraud across multiple states with help from Utah store employee (pageviews: 7017)
- 3 killed in head-on crash in Kane County (pageviews: 6751)