Gov. Herbert: Most Of Utah Moving From ‘Orange’ To ‘Yellow’ Phase
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Gov. Gary Herbert on Thursday announced most of the state will be moving from the “orange” phase to the “yellow” phase of reopening Utah amid the pandemic.
Five areas that have been hardest hit by the pandemic will remain in the “orange,” or moderate-risk phase, the governor said.
Grand County, Summit County, Wasatch County, Salt Lake City and West Valley City will continue in the moderate-risk phase for the time being. The rest of the state will be moving to the low-risk phase at 12:01 a.m. on May 16.
Gov. Herbert, Dr. Dunn and members of the Public Health & Economic Emergency Commission providing update on ongoing pandemic
Posted by KSL 5 TV on Thursday, May 14, 2020
“The trend is good,” Herbert said. “We’ve plateaued.”
Gen. Jefferson Burton of the Utah Department of Health said moving from moderate to low-risk will allow Utahns to resume team sports, though organizers are asked to screen participants for symptoms. Pools will be allowed to open if social distancing continues, and social gatherings can now include up to 50 people.
K – 12 schools will remain closed through the end of the year.
In the low-risk phase, the public is still asked to maintain social distancing and wear masks in public where social distancing isn’t possible.
Workers are also encouraged to continue telecommuting if they can.
As the majority of the state moves into “yellow,” Dr. Michael Good, a member of the Public Health and Economic Emergency Recovery Commission, cautioned residents to remain vigilant in staying healthy. He emphasized the importance of helping to keep at-risk individuals safe.
Good said 99% of Utahns recover from the Virus, and 92% recover without having to be hospitalized. He said health care workers need the public’s help focusing on that 1% – 2% who are most affected by COVID-19.
At-risk residents are those who are 65 or older and those who are immunocompromised. Those individuals need to continue following “high risk” protocols, Herbert said.
This article will be updated.
- Pizza Delivery Driver Gets Surprise Tip, Becomes 'TikTok Famous' (pageviews: 11601)
- What Does It Mean To Move From Yellow Risk To Orange Risk? (pageviews: 4034)
- Utah Mother Fighting Cancer, New COVID-19 Diagnosis (pageviews: 2905)
- Cache Valley Teen Lucky To Find Cell Signal After Rattlesnake Bite (pageviews: 2515)
- Authorities Investigating After Woman Struck By Multiple Vehicles On I-215 (pageviews: 2261)
- Deadly Officer-Involved Shooting In Roy Ruled Justified (pageviews: 2152)
- Herbert Reports 1,198 New COVID-19 Cases - Highest Number So Far (pageviews: 2150)
- Utah Reports 1,198 New COVID-19 Cases, No New Deaths (pageviews: 2097)
- Man Killed, Woman Hospitalized In Downtown Crash (pageviews: 1993)