42 Displaced After Fire At Millcreek Apartments; 2nd Fire In Less Than A Year
MILLCREEK, Utah – Dozens of residents in Millcreek were displaced Wednesday after the Driftwood Apartments went up in flames.
The apartments, located at 3900 south and 700 West, have been under construction and vacant after the same building caught fire in August 2019.
“The top floor is pretty much a total loss. The second and first floor are water damage and smoke damage,” said Battalion Chief Ross Fowlks with Unified Fire Authority.
Fire crews have been busy this morning putting out massive flames at the Driftwood Apartments at 3900 South 700 West. Residents from 24 apartments are displaced this morning including pets. Details on @KSL5TV No injuries. #ksltv pic.twitter.com/n801tBHAFo
— Felicia Martinez (@FeliciaKSL) May 20, 2020
In total, 42 people were displaced from 12 apartments. Many of the residents were left standing around in disbelief, and some lost everything they own.
UFA said dispatchers received multiple 911 calls about the fire, which was visible from I-15.
“It’s still under investigation, but it appears to have started on one of the balconies on the backside and went up into the roof,” Fowlks said. “The whole roof was involved by the time we got everything in place to go.”
Everyone made it out of the apartments without any injuries, but half of the building is now damaged, and the other half is a total loss.
When the structure is rebuilt, officials said it will be upgraded with sprinklers throughout.
The American Red Cross is also helping displaced residents with shelter, food and medications.
The cause is still under investigation.
- Utah boy dies after falling off school slide (pageviews: 19686)
- West Jordan mother in the ICU after being hit by snowmobile while tubing (pageviews: 9869)
- Provo will soon be welcoming its 1st full-size Target store (pageviews: 8132)
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 7085)
- Chilling search history on Enoch father's phone: 'Can neighbors hear gunshots?' (pageviews: 5854)
- 7 arrested in drug trafficking investigation in Utah and Salt Lake counties (pageviews: 3704)