Teenager Dies After Multiple Gunshot Wounds In Sandy
SANDY, Utah – A manhunt was underway for the gunman who police said opened fire on a 17-year-old boy on his own front lawn, killing the teen.
Officials with the Sandy Police Department said the teenager was shot multiple times.
The shooting happened just before noon Friday on the 1100 block of Sapphire Drive. Neighbors who ran out to help described it as a drive-by shooting.
Police were still at the scene hours later looking for evidence, and trying to understand exactly how the shooting happened.
Shooting update: Police are looking for an older model Ford Explorer, 2 tone green over gold. Suspect considered armed and dangerous. Notify police if seen. pic.twitter.com/TbOxMqbU2h
— Sandy Police (@Sandy_Police) May 22, 2020
Neighbors told KSL TV that another neighbor, who is a nurse, ran out and tried to help, staying with the teen until first-responders arrived.
Investigators have been looking for an older model, green Ford Explorer, with gold trim that was caught in a surveillance photo.
One neighbor, Hope Tolboe, said she’s never seen anything like it in the neighborhood before.
“This is the first time I’ve seen anything like this happen, anything close to this happen, in this area” she said. “So it’s scary.”
It left neighbors speechless.
“It’s pretty bad when a kid that old loses out on life,” said Fred Jayne.
A few neighbor cameras caught the SUV going back and forth, up and down the street at the time of the shooting.
Police did not have much information on the suspect or suspects. They did say they believed it was an isolated incident and the public was not in danger.
“We don’t believe there’s any immediate threat,” said Sgt. Clayton Swenson. “(The) suspect fled the area in that vehicle, so we don’t believe there’s any immediate threat to the citizens here in Sandy.”
- Police Say Man Shot While Driving Through Group Of Protesters In Provo (pageviews: 59190)
- Two Arrested In Connection With Provo Protest Shooting (pageviews: 18191)
- Man Accused Of Shooting Driver During Provo Protests Arrested (pageviews: 11855)
- Police Investigating Reports Of Shots Fired At Protest In Provo (pageviews: 8513)
- Driver Stuck In Middle Of SLC Protest Says She Feared For Her Life (pageviews: 7265)
- Pediatrics Group Says Benefits Of In-Person School Outweigh Virus Risks (pageviews: 4891)
- Woman Gored By Bison In Yellowstone National Park (pageviews: 4663)
- Life Flight Paramedic Injured In Plane Crash Dies (pageviews: 4594)
- Knolls Fire At 10,000 Acres, 25% Contained; Other Fires Burning Across Utah (pageviews: 4057)