Local Malls Packed On Memorial Day As Restrictions Ease
MURRAY, Utah — Memorial Day is a holiday where people tend to head to the great outdoors, but this year, a large number of people headed indoors as malls and stores reopened for shopping.
On a day when BBQ’s are usually more common than shopping bags, malls in the Salt Lake Valley were packed.
“It’s just been forever,” said shopper Cianni Islas. “I’ve been dying to go to the mall since February.”
It seemed for some, the two-month shopping drought was almost too much to bear.
“Oh, I just can’t wait to look at shoes, and I really need new shirts and pants,” Islas said.
For those who made it to the mall Monday, things looked a little different.
“What? They have a line now and that is crazy,” said another shopper as she eyed the line of people outside a store.
To encourage social distancing, retailers like LuLu Lemon at Fashion Place Mall had a wait time of about an hour.
“It is really hard though, you know, to stay away from people in the stores,” shopper Michelle Wilcox said. “I’ve really noticed that.”
Also, some stores would not allow customers to try on clothes.
Clothes that were tried on in store and then not bought were put into closet quarantine for a couple of days.
“I guess it’s good although everybody’s got their hands on the clothes anyway, so I’m not sure how much good the quarantining does,” Wilcox said.
Whatever your reason for returning to the mall is, just know that things will look differently than you may remember.
“It’s kind of weird,” Wilcox said. “Yeah, it’s definitely kind of a shock and not something I’m used to yet.”
Mall and store hours vary by location, so it’s recommended to call ahead or look online before heading out to shop.
- Woman Missing Since November Found Alive In Diamond Fork Canyon (pageviews: 27773)
- Utah's Health Orders Terminated After Meeting 'Endgame Bill' Criteria (pageviews: 15426)
- Nurses, Doctor Help 'Lucky' Mom Who Gave Birth On Flight (pageviews: 5406)
- Venmo Scams: Protecting Yourself From Fraudsters – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5376)
- Venmo Scams: Protecting Yourself From Fraudsters (pageviews: 4677)
- Salt Lake City Homeowners Set Trap, Catch Thief On Camera (pageviews: 3952)
- Teenage Driver Killed In Crash On SR-92 (pageviews: 3595)
- Woman Missing Since November Found Alive In Diamond Fork Canyon – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3404)
- Utah’s Health Orders Terminated After Meeting ‘Endgame Bill’ Criteria – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3167)