Ogden Police Identify Fallen Officer As Nate Lyday
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The Ogden City Police Department on Friday identified the officer who was killed in the line of duty while responding to a domestic violence call.
OPD Chief Randy Watt identified the officer of Nate Lyday, 24.
The Utah law enforcement community is coming together to mourn the loss of Lyday, and authorities are holding an honor watch around the clock over his body.
Officers have spent the night watching over the fallen officer at the medical examiner’s office in Taylorsville.
Lyday’s body was taken to the examiner’s office with a police escort, and authorities continued their honor watch through the night and into Friday.
LIVE: Ogden City Police Dept. is holding a press conference following yesterdays shooting that left an officer and a suspect dead.
Posted by KSL 5 TV on Friday, May 29, 2020
Officials said officers will continue a 24-hour watch for their brother in blue, and other law enforcement departments will be filling in as needed.
Ogden police responded to the call of a woman saying her husband was threatening to kill her. When authorities arrived at the scene, they found a man on the porch who was being uncooperative. The suspect reportedly walked inside the home and slammed the door shut before firing through the closed door at approaching officers.
Neighbors reported hearing what sounded like dozens of gunshots. They were told to go into their homes and shelter in place.
Two officers were shot while trying to get help to the victims inside the home. The second officer’s injuries were not life-threatening.
Lyday had been with the force for about 15 months.
Police said the suspect was also found dead.
- Gephardt: 'Brushing' Scams Sweeping Utah (pageviews: 9702)
- First It Was Toilet Paper, Then Clorox Wipes. Now Dr. Pepper Is Scarce, Too (pageviews: 7889)
- CDC: Schools Should Have Plan For Angry Parents, Face Mask Bullying (pageviews: 6339)
- Convicted Kearns Sex Offender Charged With Human Trafficking (pageviews: 5875)
- SLC Police Association Pushes Back On Mayor's Order (pageviews: 4477)
- Alpine School District Teachers Rally For Safety Days Before Start Of School Year (pageviews: 4264)
- Man Dies After Being Ejected From Truck During Rollover Crash In Bluffdale (pageviews: 3989)
- More Than 97K Children Test Positive For COVID-19 In 2 Weeks (pageviews: 3776)
- 12-Year-Old Girl Killed In Utah County ATV Crash (pageviews: 2804)